Flank Steak Fajita Salad is another Tex-Mex creation, combining a perfectly cooked flank steak with all the flavors I love most, and topped with my delicious Creamy Avocado Dressing. You will want to eat this for days on end!
Flank Steak is my go-to steak for anything Tex-Mex. It is affordable, flavorful if prepared correctly, and works well in a large variety of dishes. My marinade recipe is delicious, and similar to the marinade for my Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowls.
Here are a few tips for grilling the perfect flank steak.
- Grill it on quickly on high heat. You can see the hot flame we had going below.
- Let it rest for approximately 10 minutes.
- Slice it against the grain. This is fairly easy because the muscle fibers are very obvious.
My Creamy Avocado Dressing makes this salad even tastier. It has all the Tex-Mex ingredients and brings all the flavors together in a perfect flavor combination. If you love avocados, yogurt, jalapeño, lime juice, and cilantro, you will LOVE it like I do.
This dressing is also used in my Mexican Quinoa Salad.
If you have access to fresh corn (Iowa sweet corn is the BEST), use it in this Flank Steak Fajita Salad. Because fresh corn makes everything taste better. Trust me on this one.
You will also need:
- salad greens
- sliced bell peppers
- sliced red onion
- fresh avocado slices
- cotija cheese
- tri-color tortilla strips
I ate this salad three days in a row, because the boys weren’t home to eat it. I didn’t mind one bit.
Since the dressing has avocado in it, you would expect the leftovers to brown. Mine didn’t, because 1) there is lime juice in the dressing, and 2) I wrapped it tightly with press-n-seal, pushing it down to actually touch the dressing. This prevents air from touching it.
Are you looking for other Tex-Mex dishes?
Make this salad recipe next: Healthy Broccoli Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing
You can stay up-to-date with SueBee Homemaker by:
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 fresh lime - freshly squeezed
- 1 large avocado
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro
- 1 large jalapeno
- 1 large lime - freshly squeezed
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons water - if needed to thin
- 12-14 cups lettuce - any kind
- 1/2 whole red bell pepper - sliced thin
- 1/2 whole green bell pepper - sliced thin
- 1/3 medium red onion - sliced thin
- 3 ears grilled corn - kernels removed
- 1 large avocado - sliced
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese - crumbled
- 1 cup tri-color tortilla strips
Place flank steak in large storage bag or airtight container. In a small bowl, mix the marinade ingredients and pour over the steak. Seal bag and store in refrigerator for at least two hours before grilling.
Bring steak to almost room temperature. Grill steak on medium high heat (outdoor grill or grill pan inside) until done. We like ours a little bit pink in the center. Your cooking time will depend on how thick the steak is.
Let steak sit for at least 10 minutes before slicing - against the grain.
Grill corn on medium heat until kernels begin to soften, and the corn gets slightly browned. Remove kernels from cobs and set aside.
Place the salad dressing ingredients in food processor, and pulse until smooth. You may need to add water to thin it.
Arrange in one large bowl or several small ones - lettuce, bell peppers, red onion, grilled corn, steak slices, and avocado. Top with some Cojiita cheese and a drizzle of Creamy Avocado Dressing.
This steak also tastes great in fajitas. Just layer the ingredients in tortillas, and enjoy!