Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowls are classic Tex-Mex. Grill up some marinated chicken breasts and add rice, beans, onions, peppers, and all the toppings. This one is a favorite!
We grill a TON of chicken at our house. And when we grill, we make extra so I can convert it into another meal of some kind…like chicken paninis, chicken quesadillas, chicken tacos, and chicken Cobb salads. This chicken, however, has a special marinade on it – so it’s perfect for Tex Mex. It has a nice spicy kick and the marinade makes the chicken tender perfect. I also use this marinade on flank steak for fajitas or tacos.
The Big Green Egg is the real master chef.
The other thing that makes this chicken delicious is our BIG GREEN EGG!! It gives the meat a nice smokey flavor even when we don’t use the low and slow smoking method. Mike loves it (see below!), and we rarely use our gas grill anymore.
There is chicken and SO much more in these Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowls.
- Rice and Beans. You can go with any kind of rice (brown or white) and some black beans. OR, I often make my Spanish Rice (pictured below, on the right), with these Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowls. It has the beans and tomatoes already in it, so it saves you a couple of steps.
- Bell Peppers and Onions. Saute up a bunch of onions and peppers, add a little salt and pepper, and cumin if desired.
- All the toppings. Use whatever you like. Sliced avocado, sour cream, Mexican cheese, and salsa, of course. My Salsa Verde is a good one, and easy to make.
This is actually a recipe re-do that I posted at the very beginning of my blog. We still love making these bowls quite often, and sometimes I substitute flank steak for the chicken. This is a healthy Tex-Mex recipe, and one that you’ll love too.
Grill up this one next: Spicy Jalapeño Burgers
You can stay up-to-date with SueBee Homemaker by:
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowls
These burrito bowls are a delicious combination of marinated grilled chicken, rice, beans, peppers, onions, and toppings. The more toppings the better!
For the chicken marinade:
- 3 - 4 pounds chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 whole lime - freshly squeezed
For the peppers and onions:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion - sliced thin
- 2 large bell peppers - any variety, sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin - optional
- salt and pepper - to taste
For the remaining side ingredients:
- 6 cups prepared rice - brown, white, or Spanish
- 2 cans black beans - rinsed and drained
- 1 can Mexicorn - optional
- avocados, shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream, salsa - for serving
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and put into freezer bag. Combine all ingredients for the chicken marinade and pour into bag with the chicken. Zip the bag tight and massage the marinade around into the chicken. Store in refrigerator for 4 - 6 hours. You can also freeze this for a quick future meal.
Light an outdoor grill (or can be done indoors) and regulate heat to approximately 375 degrees. Grill chicken for approximately 20 - 25 minutes or until done (165 degrees on a meat thermometer). Let meat sit on kitchen counter for 15 minutes and then slice into strips.
Meanwhile, thinly slice peppers and onions and saute in olive oil until soft. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Drain and rinse black beans. Drain corn. These ingredients should be heated up right before serving.
Make any kind of rice you like best. We usually do brown rice, or my Spanish Rice with Beans (in which case you wouldn't need the extra beans).
To assemble, add rice, beans, peppers, onions, chicken, and desired toppings to the bowl. Dig in!