Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share a commission.
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice is an easy four-ingredient side dish that pairs wonderfully with your favorite Mexican cuisine. Using the instant pot guarantees perfectly cooked rice every time!
Try my Spanish Rice and Beans next!
Cilantro Lime Rice
We love our Tex-Mex and so I keep all the things stocked at all times – jalapeños, limes, cilantro, salsa, and other zesty ingredients. I love dreaming up all the spicy things for you to enjoy!
While I don’t cook full meals in our instant pot, I ALWAYS pull out it out for rice. Cilantro lime rice makes a regular appearance on our dinner table, and it turns out beautifully every time. Trust me – using the instant pot is a game changer.
Adding a few simple ingredients to plain old rice adds SO much flavor. A big handful of cilantro and a couple of limes and you’re on your way to the BEST rice.
Ingredients used for Cilantro Lime Rice:
Using an instant pot for this recipe is SO easy. Just set it up and stay close by. It doesn’t take long!
- Long Grain Rice – You can use either white or brown rice, but I normally use white.
- Lower Sodium Chicken Broth – This gives the rice a nice hearty flavor and I highly recommend using it over water.
- Cilantro – So much flavor in this amazing herb!
- Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice – Two limes make this perfectly lime-y.
- Salt and Pepper – I always use kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
How to make Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice:
Make rice. Using a 6-quart instant pot, combine the long-grain rice with the chicken broth. Press “Pressure Cook” and set the time to 8 minutes (making sure the valve is closed).
After the instant pot comes to pressure and cooks for 8 minutes, let it do a natural release for 5 minutes. Then release the valve, remove lid, and fluff with a fork.
Prep the cilantro and limes. While the Instant Pot is cooking the rice, chop up the cilantro and set aside. Then use a citrus press to squeeze two fresh limes into a bowl, or squeeze directly in the IP. Set aside.
Add ingredients. When the rice is done cooking, add the cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together and test seasonings.
Serve with a little more freshly ground black pepper and a lime wedge. Enjoy!
We recently enjoyed this with some Carne Asada Quesadillas and some Chunky Guacamole and it was so delicious!
Anything Tex-Mex! We love adding these to burritos, quesadillas, tacos, enchiladas, and so many things!
I personally have never used dried cilantro but you CAN use it in place of fresh cilantro. Dried herbs are always stronger so you’ll need to use far less.
This rice will last for up to five days in the refrigerator.
Yes, you can! Make the rice on the stovetop according to the package directions and then add the cilantro and limes.
What to serve with Cilantro Lime Rice:
- Easy Fish Tacos – One of my go-to fish meals. Just like dining out!
- Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas – Use store-bought rotisserie chicken for a time saver.
- Instant Pot Crispy Pork Carnitas – I DO love my instant pot, especially for this recipe.
- Shredded Beef Chipotle Enchiladas – I love using my homemade enchilada sauce for this recipe. So good!
Kitchen Tools Used: (affiliate links)
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 1/2 cups long-grain rice – either white or brown
- 3 1/2 cups lower sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 – 1 cup cilantro – chopped
- 2 medium limes – freshly squeezed
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- Combine the rice and chicken broth in the instant pot. Set instant pot to "pressure cook", and set time to 8 minutes. Seal the vent to close, and let the instant pot build up pressure.
- After the 8 minutes are up, let the instant pot do a natural release for 5 minutes. Then do a quick release by opening the vent.
- Remove the lid from the instant pot. Use a fork to fluff the rice, and then add chopped cilantro and the fresh lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
- You can store this rice in the refrigerator for several days. Just microwave it with your favorite protein.
- Tailor the amount of cilantro and lime to your tastes.
A staple in our dinner portfolio! Making this tonight for friends to pair with fajitas! Cilantro and limes are always on the grocery list!
Amen to that!
I love rice and this recipe is awesome. Take the pro tip and use for Fish Tacos…..
Agree 100%! 😀