Pesto Vegetable Pasta combines angel hair pasta with spiralized vegetables, and is topped with my homemade pesto sauce. A delightful meatless pasta recipe but with a super healthy twist.
I love me some pasta. Mix it with veggies and top it with pesto sauce. Hellooooooo dear delicious friend.
There are several things to love about this recipe.
- It has PASTA in it.
- My homemade pesto sauce makes another appearance.
- “Veggie noodles” make this recipe super healthy.
- It is BEAUTIFUL to look at and DELICIOUS to eat. 🙂
To make this exact recipe, you will need a special tool, called a spiralizer . You can also just slice the veggies super thin if you prefer. Using a spiralizer is very easy and when I made this dish, I spiralized my veggies the day before.
Pesto Sauce is KEY.
One recipe of my homemade pesto sauce coats these noodles and veggies nicely. It makes everything stick together and gives it a nice fresh flavor, without overwhelming it. Like I’ve mentioned before, I keep small containers of pesto sauce in my freezer for meals like this. Because sometimes I want something quick but healthy at the same time. For all you working parents, this advance preparation will make your lives so much easier.
The next time I make this, I’m going to add some chicken or another lean protein. You could also add even more veg and less pasta if you want. Or more pasta and less veg.
See? So versatile. 😀
Pro Tips for easy preparation:
- Make the pesto sauce in advance, and store in refrigerator.
- Spiralize the veggies in advance, and store in refrigerator.
I want to give you one more up-close-and-personal look below. I absolutely LOVE all that color. It makes me super happy and in the mood for eating healthy. Because we can never get enough healthy pasta.
B A L A N C E
Try this pasta dish next: Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Pesto Vegetable Pasta is a delightful meatless pasta recipe, but with a super healthy twist.
- 6 oz. angel hair pasta
- 2 large carrots - spiralized
- 2 large zucchini squash - spiralized
- 2 large yellow squash - spiralized
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts - toasted
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper - to taste
Pulse basil leaves, parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts, garlic, and salt and pepper in food processor. Add olive oil gradually until fully combined. Set aside.
Boil angel hair pasta to el dente, according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Using spiralizer, spiralize the carrots, zucchini squash, and yellow squash. You can do this step in advance and store in the refrigerator.
Add olive oil to large sauce pan, heated to medium high. Add veggies and cook until slightly softened, approximately 10 minutes. Add cooked angel hair pasta, and mix.
Add prepared pesto sauce to pan and stir to combine. Heat through, approximately 5 minutes.
- Pro tip #1: Make the pesto sauce in advance and store in refrigerator.
- Pro tip #2: Spiralize the veggies in advance and store in refrigerator.
- For best results, use my homemade recipe. Store bought is ok too.
- You can bulk up this recipe by using more spiralized veggies and less angel hair pasta.
- Be care to not over-cook when combining in sauce pan.