Cowboy Caviar with Avocado is a classic recipe that can’t be beat. Combining fresh veggies with black beans and a simple dressing of red wine vinegar and fresh lime juice, this appetizer gets rave reviews!
We’re all about using fresh veggies in both main courses and sides/snacks. For other healthy recipes, try my Balsamic Glazed Tomatoes and Burrata, the most delicious Grilled Salsa, and some Easy Pico de Gallo!
There is always an occasion for “junk food” for dinner (as my mother would say), and I believe we should indulge once in a while. 😀
The nice thing about THIS junk food (cowboy caviar aka Texas caviar!), is that the actual dip part is healthy! So if you want, you can eat it as a salad, mix it with some protein-rich quinoa, or add chicken to it. But if you are like me, you’ll want to scoop it up with chips.
Ingredients needed for Cowboy Caviar with Avocado:
- Tomatoes – Use Roma tomatoes, and remove the seeds before dicing. I like to slice them in half, and then squeeze out the seeds.
- Onion – Red onion is the perfect flavor for this dip.
- Cilantro – A handful of cilantro is key!
- Jalapeño – I used two small jalapeños, but you could use one large one as well. Leave out the seeds if you don’t care for the spice.
- Corn – I use Mexicorn.
- Beans – Black beans, rinsed and drained.
- Avocado – One perfectly ripe avocado.
- Lime – Squeeze one lime over the dip to keep the avocado fresh and for a zesty flavor.
- Vinegar – Just a drizzle of red wine vinegar, if desired.
How to make Cowboy Caviar with Avocado:
Prep veggies. Slice the tomatoes in half. Then squeeze out the liquid and some of the insides of each half. Chop in small pieces and add to a mixing bowl.
Then chop up the onion, jalapeño, cilantro, and add to the bowl.
Add beans and corn. Add the rinsed and drained black beans and the drained Mexicorn to the bowl.
Add the avocado. Dice up the avocado (between one and two – you decide!) and add to the dip. Stir well.
Add dressing. Squeeze the lime on top of the dip, and then add a drizzle of red wine vinegar.
Serve. Serve with Tostito scoops, or chips of your choosing.
Variations to this recipe:
- Instead of using canned Mexicorn, you could sauté up some fresh corn or use thawed frozen corn.
- Try using another type of bean – pinto, cannelloni, or black-eyed peas.
- Add in some other veggies – like chopped zucchini or yellow squash.
- Use a bit of olive oil, instead of the vinegar or in addition to.
- Add in some diced shrimp. (We love adding shrimp!)
What to serve with Cowboy Caviar:
- You must, of course, serve this Mexican-inspired dip with a margarita. Try my Classic Skinny Margaritas, Blackberry Peach Margaritas, or a Tropical Tequila Sangria.
- If you want a spicy paring, make my Jalapeño Tuna Cakes or my Honey Sriracha Shrimp Bowls along side this caviar.
- My personal fav is to pair this dip with my Healthy Taco Salads. You can’t go wrong with whatever you choose!
Make this appetizer next: Crazy Good Corn Dip
Cowboy Caviar with Avocado
- 6 medium roma tomatoes – diced (without seeds)
- 1 large avocado (or more) – chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion – diced
- 1 large jalapeño – diced (with or without seeds)
- 1/3 cup cilantro – chopped
- 15 oz. black beans – rinsed and strained
- 10 oz. Mexicorn – drained
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 1 large lime – freshly squeezed
- a drizzle of red wine vinegar
- Slice the tomatoes in half and then squeeze out the liquid inside. Chop the tomatoes and add to a mixing bowl. Then chop up the jalapeño, onion, and cilantro and add to the tomato.
- Add the black beans and corn to the bowl. Then add the diced avocado, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Squeeze one lime on top of the ingredients, along with a couple of dashes of red wine vinegar. Test and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve cowboy caviar with Tostito chips, or enjoy as a side salad.