Cowboy Caviar with Avocado is a classic recipe that can’t be beat. Combining fresh veggies with black beans and a simple dressing of red wine vinegar and fresh lime juice, this appetizer gets rave reviews!
I’m a sucker for anything that I can scoop with chips. Bring on the chunky guacamole, Mexican bean dip or my crazy good corn dip (yes, CRAZY good!). In fact, if I can get by with calling one of these dinner for our Friday night happy hour, I’m pretty happy. There is always an occasion for “junk food” for dinner (as my mother would say), and I believe we should indulge once in a while. 😀
The nice thing about THIS junk food, is that the actual dip part is healthy! So if you want, you can eat it as a salad, mix it with some protein-rich quinoa, or add chicken to it. But if you are like me, you’ll want to scoop it up with chips.
Ingredients needed for Cowboy Caviar with Avocado:
- Fresh Corn – I used four ears of corn for this recipe.
- Seasonings – A pinch of cumin, chili powder, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Tomatoes – Use Roma tomatoes, and remove the seeds before dicing. I like to slice them in half, and then squeeze out the seeds.
- Onion – Red onion is the perfect flavor for this dip.
- Cilantro – A handful of cilantro is key!
- Jalapeño – I used two small jalapeños, but you could use one large one as well. Leave out the seeds if you don’t care for the spice.
- Beans – Black beans, rinsed and strained.
- Avocado – One perfectly ripe avocado.
- Lime – Squeeze one lime over the dip to keep the avocado fresh and for a zesty flavor.
- Vinegar – Just a drizzle of red wine vinegar, if desired.
How to make Cowboy Caviar with Avocado:
- Sauté corn. Remove the corn from the cobs, and sauté in a little bit of olive oil. Add seasonings to taste. Let cool.
- Combine ingredients. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl the tomato, jalapeño, cilantro, red onion, fresh corn, and avocados.
- Add dressing. Squeeze the lime on top of the dip, and then add a drizzle of red wine vinegar.
- Serve. Serve with Tostito scoops, or chips of your choosing.
Variations to this recipe:
- Instead of sautéing your corn, you could use some Mexicorn (in a can) or frozen corn.
- Try using another type of bean – pinto, cannelloni, or black-eyed peas.
- Add in some other veggies – like chopped zucchini or yellow squash.
- Use a bit of olive oil, instead of the vinegar or in addition to.
- Add in some diced shrimp.
What to serve with this Cowboy Caviar:
- You must, of course, serve this Mexican-inspired dip with a margarita. Try my Classic Skinny Margaritas, Blackberry Peach Margaritas, or a Tropical Tequila Sangria.
- If you want a spicy paring, make my Jalapeño Tuna Cakes or my Honey Sriracha Shrimp Bowls along side this caviar.
- My personal fav is to pair this dip with my Healthy Taco Salads. You can’t go wrong with whatever you choose!
Cowboy Caviar with Avocado
- 4 ears of corn – slightly sautéed
- a pinch of cumin and chili powder
- 5 medium roma tomatoes – diced (without seeds)
- 1 large avocado – chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion – diced
- 1 large jalapeño – diced (with or without seeds)
- 1/3 cup cilantro – chopped
- 15 oz. black beans – rinsed and strained
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 1 large lime – freshly squeezed
- a drizzle of red wine vinegar
- Remove the corn from the cobs with a sharp knife. Saute the kernels in a little bit of olive oil, and seasonings (cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper) to taste. Let cool.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl – the cooled corn, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro, black beans, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Squeeze the lime juice over the mixture along with a drizzle of red wine vinegar. Stir well, and serve immediately with chips.