Classic Skinny Margaritas are the perfect party drink, combining tequila, orange liqueur, FRESH lime juice, and plenty of ice. Rim the glasses with salt and lime wedges, and sip away.
These margaritas are as good as they look. Actually, better! In fact, I’ll never EVER use that sugary pre-mix again.
Here’s a few tips to making really GREAT margaritas:
- Use a good quality tequila. I’m not an expert but I had Manik Tequila on hand and used it. It made this margarita oh-so-smooth tasting. Good Quality Tequila –> Good Marg!
- Likewise, use a good quality orange liqueur, like Cointreau.
- Buy a BUNCH of large limes, and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. For this recipe, I used about six limes to get 4 ounces of juice.
- Use a cocktail shaker to mix these margaritas. Fill the shaker with ice, add the tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice, and shake, shake shake.
So you might remember that my sister was in town from Cali. She helped me make those lovely and super delicious Huevos Rancheros Tostadas and is aka my hand model. LOVE a good hand model!
Oh, and she was my very busy recipe tester too. Like VERY.
And just so you know, these drinks are double what the recipe states. Which is maybe why we have silly grins on our faces. But we only had ONE drink…er, two. Ok, ONE big one. 🙂
WARNING: Do NOT drive anywhere after consuming these margaritas!
And drink only ONE! And eat something while you drink them, like some Chunky Guacamole and blue chips! Yes! 🙂
The reason that these margaritas are SKINNY is because they contain zero added sugar. Most margaritas are made with a simple syrup or that bottled pre-mix that is full of sugar. With my recipe, you are using good quality alcohol and FRESH lime juice, which makes all the difference in the world. They weren’t missing the sugar AT ALL.
The other really important thing is using the cocktail shaker, which simultaneously chills and dilutes the drink at the same time.
The countdown is on to Cinco de Mayo, and these drinks are definitely making an appearance for a party. Remember to sip slowly, eat plenty, and most importantly, DON’T DRIVE.
Try these margaritas next: Blackberry Peach Frozen Margaritas
You can stay up-to-date with SueBee Homemaker by:
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
Classic Margaritas combining a good tequila, triple sec, fresh lime juice, and plenty of ice. Skip the simple syrup to make these skinny!
- 8 oz. tequila - good quality
- 4 oz. orange liqueur - good quality
- 4 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice (approx 6 limes) - NOT OPTIONAL
- lots of ice
- kosher salt for rim of glass
- extra lime slices for serving
Prepare 4 small (or 2 large) margarita glasses by rubbing lime along the rims and dipping them in a bowl of kosher salt. Fill glasses with plenty of ice.
Fill cocktail shaker with ice. Add half of the tequila, triple sec, and FRESHLY SQUEEZED lime juice and shake vigorously.
Pour into two margarita glasses and garnish with lime. Repeat for remaining two glasses, and serve.