5-Ingredient Pico de Gallo is an easy Tex-Mex recipe, that is also super fresh and delicious. Use it as a chip dip, or top all of your tacos, burritos, carnitas, salads, and bowls!
This recipe is just one reason I like to stock my shelves with everything Tex-Mex. At any given time, you can find tomatoes and onions on my counter, and jalapeños, cilantro, and limes in my refrigerator. Because I never know when I’m gonna whip up a last minute concoction, like a taco salad or a burrito bowl. And then there are the margaritas, chips, and pico days that we all love.
Pico de Gallo Ingredients:
Let’s run down the simple list of ingredients real quick. Remember just FIVE (plus a pinch of salt).
- Tomatoes. – You can use any kind of tomatoes that you have on hand. I like to use Roma because they tend to be less watery. But if it’s tomato season, use anything fresh!
- Red Onion. – I prefer red onions to white, only because they add a touch of sweetness. But white onions work as well.
- Jalapeño. – If you are a spice lover, keep some of (or all of!) those seeds. If not, just throw them away, and dice up the outer part.
- Cilantro. – LOVE this stuff, and you can’t make great pico without it.
- Lime. – Use your hands (or this handy citrus press) to squeeze the juice from your lime.
Note on quantity. You’ll notice that my directions are for a small batch of pico. I like it best fresh, and since it’s so easy, I make it more often instead of storing it in the refrigerator. However, if you are preparing for a large group, you’ll want to double or even triple this recipe.
How to make this easy, 5-Ingredient Pico de Gallo:
- Dice ALL of the tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, and cilantro. You decide on how big or small to dice.
- Squeeze the lime right over top of the veggies.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Stir it up!
THIS, my friends, is embarrassingly easy to make. Regarding leftovers, I often times drain a little bit of the excess liquid off the pico before refrigerating.
Let’s run down all the yummy things you can sprinkle this Pico de Gallo over:
- taco salads
- taco/burrito bowls
- beans and rice
Or just get a bag of chips out, and dip.
P.S. I have a separate Tex-Mex Category for you to find all my faves. 😀
Make this Chunky Guacamole next!
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
- 4 large roma tomatoes - diced
- 1/4 medium red onion - diced
- 1 medium jalapeno - seeds removed and diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro - chopped finely
- 1 medium lime - freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Mix well, and enjoy!
- Use any fresh tomatoes you have available. Otherwise, Roma tomatoes work great as they are less watery.
- Drain a little excess liquid off of the pico leftovers before storing it in the refrigerator.