A make-ahead breakfast in a jar, complete with old fashioned oats, chia, dairy, honey, fresh berries, and granola. The answer to busy people on the go!
Overnight Oats have been all the rage these days. If you look on the internet, it’s all over the place. So here is my stab at my own little concoction.
Introducing Berry Chia Overnight Oats!
What you see here is three different types of berries for three slightly different variations on overnight oats.
Basically, you have the standard ingredients.
- chia seeds
- honey (optional)
And then you have the variations..
- different berry flavored yogurt (use any brand, any berry flavor – or even plain)
- various fresh fruit (I used raspberries with my raspberry yogurt, blackberries with my blackberry yogurt..)
Am I missing anything?
Why YES! I am! Who could forget about my Cinnamon Nut Granola that I’ve made about 850 times since creating it. I’m not kidding. I make a double batch for Josh and a double batch for me almost every other week. Because I like DOUBLING stuff. Sometimes I even TRIPLE it.
The REAL reason I made these is because Mike suggested it. He’s a total foodie now too and he even has a Pinterest account. Shhhh. But anyway, he currently eats Steel Cut Oats every day.
Every. Single. Day.
I make him a week’s worth of oats at a time and portion them out for him EVERY WEEK. The recipe is steel cut oats plus water plus milk plus a couple splashes of vanilla. That’s it. I’ve tried to convince him to try some toppings, like nuts, fruit, brown sugar, or granola. Hello GRANOLA! But nope. He likes them plain.
So when he suggested I try overnight oats, I jumped on it. And they are seriously SO easy and very good. Mike ate them for dessert (after dinner) two nights in a row because he still wants his steel cut oats for breakfast.
Every. Single. Day.
BTW…these are meant to be eaten cold. You just prep them the night before (or a few hours is fine too), and then grab them on the go.
Make these oats next: PBJ Overnight Oats
You can stay up-to-date with SueBee Homemaker by:
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
Berry Chia Overnight Oats
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup milk any kind you prefer
- 5.3 oz. yogurt any berry flavor you like
- 1/2 cup fresh berries
- 1/4 cup granola I used my homemade granola on this site
- drizzle of honey optional
- Using a pint sized mason jar, combine oats, chia seeds, milk, and yogurt. Stir to make sure oats are soaked in the liquid. Add honey if you like your oats a little sweeter.
- Take a few berries and smash them on a cutting board with a fork. Transfer fruit/liquid to the jar and combine. This will give the oats some added color and flavor.
- Top with fresh fruit and granola. Place lid on jar and store in refrigerator overnight or for at least four hours.