Homemade Cranberry Nut Granola combines old fashioned oats, pecans, sunflower seeds, and dried cranberries – with a simple mixture that makes it slightly sweet, without refined sugars. A healthy, delicious granola that we eat on the daily, and you should too!
My large batch Homemade Cranberry Nut Granola finally made it to the blog. I’ve been making it forever now, after deciding that my “smaller-more-ingredient-granola” was just too small of a batch for my granola loving family. It’s still a good one, and tastes basically the same, but this one is the new and improved recipe for several reasons.
- less variety of ingredients
- more quantity (bigger batch)
- same great taste!
LOVE LOVE this recipe.
Making granola is so easy. It’s hard to believe that it took me years before I made my first batch, and we’ve been enjoying it big time ever since. THIS recipe has fewer ingredients but MORE of them. Does that make sense? 😀
Homemade Cranberry Nut Granola Ingredients:
The dry ingredients:
- old fashioned oatmeal
- chopped pecans (OR walnuts)
- sunflower seeds
- cinnamon plus salt
- Craisins (dried cranberries – added at the end)
The wet ingredients:
- pure maple syrup
- cinnamon applesauce
- canola oil
- plus a touch of water
So let me ask you. Are you ready to make the most delicious crunchy granola, meanwhile making your house smell like heaven, and your family screaming for joy? I thought so!
Let’s make granola!
- Combine the dry ingredients (except the Craisins) in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for a couple of minutes and stir well.
- Drizzle the wet mixture over the dry, and mix well.
- Pour the wet granola inside two prepared pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stir, and bake again until nice and golden brown and fragrant.
- Cool and add Craisins.
This should take around an hour to complete, from start to finish. Not a bad way to spend an hour. #worthit
** TIPS REGARDING BAKING GRANOLA!
- First…a question. Do you have an oven that bakes hotter or colder than average, or just somewhere in the middle? This is important.
- Bake your granola at 325 (or 350 in my case) for 20 minutes. Then stir and get all the dark pieces pushed to the middle, if possible.
- Bake again for another 15-20’ish minutes, but be really careful to avoid burning it. I would suggest checking it every five minutes or so, until you make it enough to know if it’s prone to burning in YOUR oven. This can burn very quickly, and I don’t want that to happen to you. Just be vigilant. You will know when it’s done when the granola is nice and golden brown, and your house smells like heaven!
Let’s talk about how we eat our granola, because this is VERY very important. Trust me.
All The Delicious Ways to EAT GRANOLA:
- Sprinkle granola over fruit and yogurt. This is definitely Mike’s FAV way to eat it.
- Combine it with milk. Granola as a cereal? Yes please.
- Add it to your oatmeal (or steel cut oats). I’m liking this A LOT.
- Eat it straight out of the bag. Is this ok to do? Asking for a friend…
I’m betting there are other ways to add granola to your meals, but these four are “ways the Ringsdorf fam eats granola”.
Make this granola recipe next: White Chocolate Gingerbread Granola
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
- 6 cups old fashioned oatmeal
- 2 cups roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 3 cups pecans (or walnuts) - chopped
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup cinnamon applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups dried cranberries - Craisins
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare two baking sheets with baking spray.
Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl: the oatmeal, sunflower seeds, pecans (or walnuts), cinnamon, and salt.
Combine the wet ingredients in a microwave safe bowl: the maple syrup, honey, applesauce, canola oil, water, and vanilla. Microwave for 2 minutes, and stir.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix well. Pour evenly into the prepared baking sheets, and spread out with a spoon.
Bake for 20 minutes, remove and stir, and then bake an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the granola is nice and browned and fragrant. Be careful to avoid burning it!
After the granola is cooled, add the Craisins. To serve, sprinkle over fruit and granola, over oatmeal, or with just a splash of milk!
- You can use either pecans or walnuts, or a variety in this recipe. I use whatever I have on hand.
- Be VERY CAREFUL to avoid burning this granola. All ovens are different, so stay close by, and check and stir granola as often as needed.
- You want the granola to be golden brown, so stir and move the granola on the outside to middle, and vice versa. It will brown more quickly on the outside of the pan.
- This makes amazing gifts. Just pour some into a mason jar, and add a little ribbon and message.