This Healthy Chocolate Granola Recipe is definitely a win-win. Zero refined sugar ups the health factor while chocolate lovers get their fix! Serve this as a snack or enjoy it with yogurt or just plain milk!
You will always find a bag of granola in our freezer, whether it be some of our favorite Homemade Cranberry Nut Granola or this addicting Peanut Butter Chocolate Granola. We even pack it in our suitcases when we travel because we really can’t live without it!
Our household is just a tad bit oatmeal obsessed, which is not a bad thing in my mind. Mike loves his daily Peanut Butter Power Balls and his Peanut Butter and Jelly Overnight Oats, and I have a thing for my Oatmeal Raspberry Jam Bars (with a cup of coffee, no doubt).
There are also all of the oatmeal cookies that are best dunked in milk!
This chocolate granola? It’s so many things.
- Sweet – The combo of maple syrup and honey add to the flavor.
- Chocolatey – Cocoa powder and chocolate chips create the magic!
- Crunchy – Baking it for the correct time and letting it cool without stirring helps the granola to keep shape (i.e. clumps)!
- Healthier – No refined sweeteners and a healthier oil alternative.
Just 9 ingredients until you have the most delicious granola!
- Oatmeal – Make sure you use old-fashioned oatmeal here, not quick oats. This will help the granola to form clumps, and that’s the best part!
- Almonds – I used slivered almonds but you could use shaved as well (or chop up whole almonds).
- Pecans – I used chopped pecans which is my favorite nut to use in granola. SO much flavor.
- Cocoa Powder – Unsweetened cocoa powder adds the perfect chocolatey flavor!
- Salt – Sea salt is what works best in this recipe, but kosher salt if fine too.
- Avocado Oil – If you don’t have avocado oil, you could use a vegetable oil, coconut oil, or even olive oil.
- Maple Syrup – Adds a sweetened flavor to the granola. Buy the REAL maple syrup.
- Honey – Helps everything stick together and adds more flavor!
- Chocolate Chips – I prefer dark chocolate chips in this recipe but any will work.
How to make chocolate granola:
Once you’ve tasted homemade chocolate granola, you’ll skip the store-bought stuff. Trust me on this! The other benefit…your house will smell AMAZING.
Prep. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Add a sheet of parchment paper to a baking sheet.
Combine the dry ingredients. In a mixing bowl, combine the oatmeal, almonds, pecans, cocoa powder, and sea salt. Mix well.
Combine the wet ingredients. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the avocado oil, maple syrup, and honey. Heat for about 30 seconds and pour over the dry ingredients. Combine well.
Bake. Pour the granola mixture into the prepared pan, smoothing evenly to all sides of the pan. Bake for 22 – 24 minutes. Be careful to watch closely at the end to avoid burning.
Cool. Remove the pan and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes before stirring. This will allow for bigger chunks of granola as well. Add the chocolate chips when cool.
Enjoy the granola as a snack or serve it with yogurt or milk.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I substitute ingredients? Yes, you can substitute different nuts in equal proportions. You can also use another type of oil and a different ratio of maple syrup to honey.
- How can I get crunchy granola? To get a crunchier granola, bake it as long as possible without burning. You’ll need to watch it very closely in the end.
- How do you get granola clusters? To get clusters of granola, leave the pan sitting on the counter to cool WITHOUT stirring. When it’s fully cooled, break it up with your hands.
- How best do I store granola? Granola can be stored on the counter in an airtight bag or container for several days. It’s best, however, to freeze it and remove granola as you need it. (We love it straight from the freezer!)
The bowl of fruit, yogurt, and granola is the snack of Mike’s (my hubby) dreams. I always keep these ingredients handy for this EXACT bowl, and that’s why it’s important to keep the granola in the freezer for all the things. Frozen granola is the BEST.
Head to my post for Yogurt with Granola which explains options for eating the best breakfast ever!
Healthy Chocolate Granola Recipe
- 3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl – the oatmeal, almonds, pecans, cocoa powder, and sea salt.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the wet ingredients – the avocado oil, maple syrup, and raw honey. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir well.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry, stirring to mix well. Pour the granola on the prepared baking sheet, spreading to all sides of the pan.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or longer if needed. Remove the granola and let it cool for 20-30 minutes before breaking it apart with your hands. Then add chocolate chips.
- Enjoy granola as a snack, or serve it with yogurt.