Summertime is better with Strawberry Lemonade Vodka Slushies! Fresh strawberries and freshly squeezed lemons, combined with vodka, ice, and a little bit of sugar, make these drinks the hit of the party! Skip the vodka for virgin slushies! 🙂
I’m not gonna lie. I like my fruity drinks. But the reason I don’t drink them very often, is because they are LOADED with sugar. I usually stick with beer and wine when we go out on the weekends, because I’m afraid I’ll get some on-tap sugar zapper. You know, the margaritas or daiquiris or sangrias that are in those machines – and they crank them out one after another. “Here’s your blood-sugar-buster ma’am.”
No thanks. I’ll make my own at home.
It’s Memorial Weekend and it’s time I crank out a few lower-sugar belly-slimmer drinks of my own.
Prep in advance for extra COLD drinks.
You can see below, that there are fresh fruits in these Strawberry Lemonade Vodka Slushies. And there are also four steps you should do a couple of hours BEFORE your party or gathering.
- Clean the strawberries and cut in halves. Add 1/3 cup of sugar, stir, and place in refrigerator.
- Juice 5 – 6 lemons into a jar, and store in refrigerator.
- Pour one cup of vodka into measuring glass or jar, and store in refrigerator.
- Mix lemon zest with additional 1/4 cup of sugar, and muddle together. Set aside.
It will make a huge difference if you prep in advance and make sure all ingredients are cold. You can even put your glass jars (or whatever glasses you are using to serve these cocktails) in the refrigerator.
What else is important for party drinks?
- Fresh ingredients. For these slushies, you will want to stock up on lemons and strawberries.
- Good quality liquor. Don’t buy cheap stuff, cuz you’ll feeeeeel it in the morning.
- Pretty glasses to serve them in. I love mason jars of all shapes and sizes. They’re cheap, so why not?
- Friends. Yup, that’s why they are called party drinks.
- Snacks. I love a good guac and chips, or nachos, or a hot bean dip. Or a cold bean dip. 🙂
Try these cocktails next: Classic Skinny Margaritas
You can stay up-to-date with SueBee Homemaker by:
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
Fresh strawberries and freshly squeezed lemons, combined with vodka, ice, and a little bit of sugar, make these drinks the hit of the party!
- 4 cups strawberries - hulled and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6-7 large lemons - freshly squeezed (should make 3/4 cup)
- 8-10 cups ice
- 1 cup vodka - I used Absolute
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest - to rim glass
- sugar (about 1/4 cup) - to rim glass
At least two hours before your party, clean the strawberries and add sugar. Also squeeze the lemons and store the fresh juice in a glass jar. Store both of these in the refrigerator, along with a cup of vodka.
At the same time, combine 1 Tablespoon of lemon zest with 1/4 cup of sugar and put on glass plate. Stir and press spoon into the zest to absorb flavors into sugar. Set aside until party time.
To make slushies, add strawberries, lemon juice, ice and vodka to blender and puree until smooth. You may need to do this in two batches if your blender isn't large enough.
To serve, take a lemon slice and and rub around rim of four glasses. Take each glass and dip in the lemon zest/sugar mixture. Add lemon slice to edge of glass, and pour slushie mixture. Enjoy!