The Best Mai Tais combine both light and dark rum, orange liqueur, fresh lime juice, both pineapple and orange juice, and some orgeat syrup. Use a cocktail shaker and shake these up to get them nice and cold. This tropical drink will make you feel like you’re on the beach!
We fell in love with Mai Tais during our first visit to Hawaii, when we were celebrating our 50th birthdays. In particular, we loved the ones at The Beach House in Kauai, followed by Monkeypod in Maui. Both were pretty great, and and I’ve been dreaming of making my own ever since.
So here we are, enjoying a little bit of our favorite place on Earth right in our backyard. Sitting poolside with our eyes closed might be the closest we get right now, but we’ll take it. Because honestly, anyplace with my man is pretty amazing. Cheers to happiness and to the Best Mai Tais!
Ingredients needed for The Best Mai Tais:
- Rum – Equal parts dark and light rum.
- Orange Liqueur – Orange Contreau is my favorite, but any triple sec works too.
- Lime Juice – Freshly squeezed!
- Other Juice – I used bottled orange juice and bottled pineapple juice. When you check out at the grocery store, there are usually small single sized juices in the refrigerators. That’s what I grab for these cocktails.
- Orgeat Syrup – A premium almond-based cocktail syrup, made from real roasted almonds, pure cane sugar, and bitter almond oil. Very necessary for the best Mai Tais!
- Ice – Use lots of ice to get them nicely chilled.
The Best Mai Tais
- 2.5 oz. light rum
- 2.5 oz. dark rum
- 1 oz. orange liqueur – I use Cointreau
- 1.5 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1.5 oz. orange juice
- 2 oz. pineapple juice
- 1 oz. orgeat syrup
- Prep glasses by filling halfway with ice, and place some pineapple slices on the rim (along with some marischino cherries, if desired).
- Measure out all ingredients and place in a cocktail shaker. Fill with several ice cubes, and shake vigorously to get everything nice and cold. Pour into glasses and serve.