Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries are a healthy, crispy side dish, and so perfectly paired with a big juicy burger. These are full of flavor without all the grease, and will please all the sweet potato lovers, and convert the rest!
For another delicious french fry recipe, try my Baked Garlic Home Fries!
Healthy Sweet Potato Fries
Ahhh, sweet potatoes. How we love you so!
Sweet potatoes are one of our great loves…food wise. Not only are they delicious, they are super healthy too.
- Sweet Potatoes have over 400% of your daily needs for vitamin A in one medium spud, as well as loads of fiber and potassium.
- They have more grams of natural sugars than regular potatoes, but more overall nutrients with fewer calories.
We eat them every week, in one form or another. It’s good to shake it up and try new ways to prepare this super spud.
Ingredients Needed for Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries:
The good news is that all of these ingredients are pantry staples. I keep all of these on hand, and have a constant re-stock on sweet potatoes because they are my man’s favorite. 😀
- Sweet Potatoes – I used three large ones for this recipe, and used two baking sheets to bake them.
- Olive Oil – You will need to lightly coat the fries.
- Cornstarch – the ingredient that helps crisp up baked fries.
- Spice Mix – chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper
- Salt and Pepper – VERY important to add these AFTER baking.
** THE SAUCE! We recently started dipping our sweet potatoes in the BEST Skinny Chipotle Ranch Dressing. I highly (HIGHLY!) recommend it!
How to make these Sweet Potato Fries:
Slice the sweet potatoes. Peel your potatoes, and cut into thin(‘ish) strips. Tailor the size to what works best for you. Some people like super thin fries, others (me) like them a little thicker.
Soak them in cold water. Fill up a large bowl with cold water (I usually add some ice too.), and submerge the sliced potatoes. Leave them soak for whatever time you have, or at least 30 minutes. This process removes some of the starch, making it easier to get them crisp. Dry them off on a clean towel, or paper towel. Make sure you pat them completely dry.
Coat with olive oil. You don’t need a lot, but a thin layer is necessary.
Add cornstarch. This is the key ingredient to get CRISPY baked fries!
Add seasonings. I like an easy combo of chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne. If you don’t like spicy, just omit the cayenne. If you like super spicy, add extra!
Bake the sweet potato fries. For this recipe, you’ll need two baking sheets. Spread them with parchment paper and arrange them in rows on your pans. Make sure they aren’t overlapping! Bake on 425 degrees for 15 minutes, and then flip them, and bake for another 15 minutes. If you don’t have a second oven, just rotate them on two racks in your oven. You may need a little more time if rotating them, or if your oven runs cool. They should be slightly browned on top when done.
Then, AFTER baking, add the salt. After removing the fries, add plenty of salt. Adding salt sooner will draw out the moisture, and you won’t get that crisp sweet potato fry.
EAT! These are best fresh, so serve them immediately.
Leftover Pro-Tip: (YES, we had leftovers once!) IF you have leftovers, just re-bake the next day at 350 degrees, in a single layer. It will take approximately 15 minutes to reheat/re-crisp.
What to serve with these Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries:
- Burgers, of course! Like these yummy Juicy Lucy Burgers with Goat Cheese or some Grilled Zucchini Turkey Burgers.
- A simple sandwich, like Classic Tuna Melts, BLT Pesto Sandwiches, or Roasted Vegetable Pesto Panini.
- Or my personal fav, a salad and fries! Try my Kale and Quinoa Salad, Arugula Caprese Salad, or Mexican Quinoa Salad.
Also, don’t forget the Spicy Chipotle Ranch Dressing (pictured below)! A MUST-make!
Kitchen Tools Used: (affiliate links)
Make this sweet potato recipe next: Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
For the fries:
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ½ Tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne – or to taste
- kosher salt – to taste
For the fries:
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into thin strips. Fill a large bowl with cold water, and soak for at least 30 minutes. Strain and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Combine the seasonings in a small bowl (EXCEPT SALT!) – the chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne.
- Rinse bowl out, and put dried potatoes back in, and drizzle with olive oil. Mix until well coated. Add corn starch and the seasonings (EXCEPT SALT), and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat ovens to 425 degrees. Arrange fries on two baking pans lined with parchment paper. Don't over-lap the fries!
- Place pans in ovens on top shelf. If you have only one oven, you can just put both pans in and rotate shelfs throughout cooking process.
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Gently flip fries and bake another 15 minutes, or until done. Remove from oven, and add a generous sprinkling of kosher salt. EAT!
- Following this recipe closely is paramount to getting the potatoes to crisp up. They won’t be as crispy as regular fries that are submerged in oil, but they are SO good and easier on the waistline.
- The Skinny Chipotle Ranch Dressing is also key to your experience. We use it on salads, and everything taco, but it’s great as a sweet potato fry dipper as well. 😀