Arugula Caprese Salad is THE perfect 15-minute summer salad. Fresh arugula, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and basil, combined with marinated mozzarella balls and a balsamic vinegar dressing. Simple and fresh!
Caprese salad is a simple Italian salad that normally combines fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and seasoned with olive oil, salt, and pepper. While it is usually arranged on a plate, rotating layered tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, this version is a slight spin on the classic.
I love making this salad during the summertime, when fresh garden tomatoes are abundant. While I don’t currently have a garden, I have clear visions of the fresh tomatoes that my parents harvested from their garden every summer. They were THE BEST.
Ingredients needed for Arugula Caprese Salad:
- Arugula – All you need for this recipe is a 5 oz. container of arugula.
- Red Onion – Just slice them thin.
- Cherry Tomatoes – I love buying the colorful cherry tomatoes that are in the stores this time of year. SO good (and pretty)!
- Basil – Just a sprig.
- Marinated Mozzarella Balls – If you have trouble finding these, try Sprouts, Trader Joe’s, or Whole Foods.
The Easy Dressing Ingredients:
- Olive Oil – The oil I use in MOST of my dressings.
- Balsamic Vinegar – This vinegar has a naturally sweet taste.
- Reserved Marinade – Use a couple of tablespoons from the marinated mozzarella balls.
- Honey – Just a splash necessary!
- S&P – Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
How to make Arugula Caprese Salad:
- Prep veggies. Slice the red onion thinly. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Strain mozzarella balls. Using a colander, strain the mozzarella balls, saving a couple tablespoons of the marinade from the package.
- Make the dressing. Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, the reserved marinade, a splash of honey, and kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Assemble. In a large bowl, combine the arugula, red onion, cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella balls. Drizzle the dressing on the salad. If you aren’t eating the entire salad, drizzle the dressing on individual servings.
This is a relatively small amount of salad, especially if you are “greens lovers” like my family. If you are serving more than four, you should double this recipe.
Try this simple salad next! Crunchy Asian Cabbage Salad
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Arugula Caprese Salad
- 5 oz. fresh arugula
- 1/3 cup red onion - sliced thin
- 2 cups red, orange, and yellow cherry tomatoes - any combination
- 12 oz. marinated fresh mozzarella balls
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil - chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 Tablespoons reserved marinade from mozzarella balls
- splash of honey
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Slice red onion thinly. Slice cherry tomatoes in half.
- Drain mozzarella balls while reserving a couple of tablespoons of the marinade.
- Combine salad by mixing arugula, red onion, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and basil.
- Prepare dressing in mason jar by combining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, reserved marinade, a splash of honey, and salt and pepper. Shake well and set aside.
- To serve, drizzle the dressing on the salad.