Weekend mode now includes this Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash. Poached eggs, sweet potatoes, bacon, mushrooms, and avocados are my answer to a perfect lazy brunch.
I was originally gonna call this dish my Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash for Two. But after I decided that it needed two more eggs, and considering that fact that I TRIED to eat my share of it, I knew it would feed three, maybe even four people. Mike ended up eating most of it, AFTER he ate a big bowl of steel cut oats (his start to every day) – but he’s not the norm. His non-stop metabolism from all of his running and weight lifting makes it easier for him to eat more than the average 51 year old.
Oh, and there is also that deep love of sweet potatoes. Hmmmm. 🙂
Tips for making an epic Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash:
- Using a cast iron skillet makes the bottom of the hash nice and crispy, the longer you cook it. You want the potatoes to be nice and soft, and just a bit crunchy on the bottom.
- I prefer Bella mushrooms over the white ones. They are firmer and less likely to get mushy while cooking.
- Bacon is optional, but it gives the hash a nice salty flavor. Only three slices were used, and I cooked the potatoes in some of the grease. A little bit goes a long way.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in small chunks to guarantee a quicker cooking time.
- You can either poach eggs in a separate pan (like I did) or make your eggs right in this pan. You just create little wells in the hash, and break eggs directly into them. However, the eggs will be a bit runny.
Do you prefer sweet or savory brunch recipes?
More often than not, I start my days with two cups of coffee with little to no breakfast. (I know, I should eat breakfast.) 11am seems to be my perfect meal time – which is actually ideal for brunch.
Some of my favorite sweet recipes are:
Now that I’m experimenting in the kitchen more often, I’m really enjoying savory dishes, like…
I hope you all love sweet potatoes like we do, because you’re gonna love it!
Make this breakfast recipe next: Huevos Rancheros Tostadas
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- 3 slices bacon – diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes – peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup onion – diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms – sliced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper – to taste
- 4 large eggs
- cilantro – to serve
- avocado slices – to serve
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat. Dice the bacon and add it to the skillet, stirring until browned.
- Remove bacon to a paper towel. Use some of the bacon grease, and add diced sweet potatoes, onions, and spices to skillet. Cook until soft, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for a couple more minutes. Add back bacon to skillet.
- Meanwhile, make four poached eggs, using an egg poacher, or whatever method you prefer. After they are cooked, nestle them in the skillet.
- Serve immediately with avocado slices and a sprinkle of cilantro.