Roasted Vegetable Pesto Panini is a delicious sandwich, full of healthy roasted vegetables along with a spreading of pesto, and topped with cheese! Use your panini maker, or make it on the stove top. So easy and delish!
This sandwich idea came about after eating the California Grille Panini at Corner Bakery. It’s one of my favorite things to order there, so I knew I needed to make it at home. The mushrooms and artichokes provide a unami flavor that is similar to meat, so it pleases vegetarians and carnivores alike!
Sandwich lovers unite! 😀
Ingredients needed for Roasted Vegetable Pesto Paninis:
- Bread – Use any crusty bread you like. I use my Chewy French Bread because I always have a loaf in my freezer.
- Butter – Just a few pats of butter needed.
- Pesto Sauce – Use store-bought or my homemade basil pesto sauce.
- Roasted Vegetables – This recipe includes artichoke hearts, spinach, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes. You could also use any other veggies you like.
- Cheese – I’ve made this with a variety of cheese, including gruyere, havarti, cheddar jack, and more.
How to make Roasted Vegetable Pesto Paninis:
This is a super quick sandwich recipe, especially if you use store-bought bread and pesto sauce.
- Make vegetables. In a stock pot, add olive oil over medium high heat. Add spinach, tomatoes, and mushrooms – and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Then add the chopped artichoke hearts and stir until warm. Remove from heat.
- Prep bread. Slice bread and then spread butter on one side of the bread – and place down on cutting board (or other surface). Then spread pesto on the side of bread facing up. Lay sliced cheese on top of half of the bread (on top of the pesto sauce).
- Add veggies. Carefully add the roasted veggies on top of the bread with cheese, and top with remaining bread.
- Grill. Carefully place paninis on the panini maker (or use a skillet), one or two at a time, depending on how many will fit. Grill for a couple minutes or until there are nice grill marks and the cheese starts to melt. If using a skillet, carefully flip the sandwiches after a couple of minutes.
Roasted Vegetable Pesto Panini
- 8 slices French bread – I use my homemade french bread on this site
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce – I use my homemade pesto on this site
- 2 Tablespoons butter spread
- 4 slices monterey jack cheese – or any cheese you like
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 cup plum tomatoes – halved
- 2-3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 12 oz. marinated artichoke hearts – strained and chopped
- salt and pepper – to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, salt and pepper – and cook until soft. Add artichoke hearts and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat panini grill (or use a pan on stovetop). Take bread and spread butter on one side of the bread only. On the other side of bread, spread pesto sauce.
- To assemble sandwiches, turn butter side down and arrange roasted vegetables on the pesto side of four of the slices of bread. Add cheese on top of vegetables, and then place other piece of bread on top, butter side up.
- Place two sandwiches on the panini grill and cook until bread gets nice grill marks, and the cheese melts. Repeat with other two sandwiches. Serve immediately.
- I used my homemade french bread that I recently baked in a cast iron skillet. So the bread is round instead of oblong, which makes it easier to use for sandwiches. If you aren’t up to baking bread, just buy any crusty bread that you like.
- Pesto Sauce is key! I’ve got two great homemade recipes on the blog.