Spanish Rice and Beans
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share a commission.
Spanish Rice and Beans combines long grain rice, Rotel, black beans, fresh lime juice, and chopped cilantro. This is the perfect side dish for any Mexican Fiesta!
We are huge rice fans and love pairing it with Tex-Mex or really anything. For other delicious recipes, try the zesty Cilantro Lime Rice or a protein-packed Turkey Sausage Brown Rice!
Introducing a side dish that uses mostly pantry ingredients and has big BIG flavor. I’m all about Tex-Mex cooking, and decided that after using this in my meal rotation for years, it needs to be an option for you too. While I sometimes enjoy it a main dish (hello protein-rich black beans), it’s usually best paired with some sort of Mexican main dish. Tacos, quesadillas, burritos, Mexican beef or pork carnitas.
Feel free to use brown long-grain rice instead of white. It is higher in fiber and protein, but I prefer the taste of white in this dish.
Ingredients needed for Spanish Rice and Beans:
- Olive Oil – You’ll need olive oil to sauté the onion and garlic.
- Onion and Garlic – Yellow onion and minced garlic.
- Rice – I use long-grain white rice for this recipe. Make sure you rinse your rise, unless you like it sticky.
- Chicken Broth – Lower-sodium chicken broth, always.
- Rotel – We often use the HOT version, but unless you like spicy, stick the mild version.
- Black Beans – Rinse and strain your black beans.
- Seasonings – Ground cumin, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Lime – One lime, freshly squeezed.
- Cilantro – Use some chopped cilantro to serve.
How to make Spanish Rice and Beans:
- Sauté onion and garlic. In a medium stock pot over medium-high heat, add some olive oil and the diced onion. Cook until soft, approximately 3-4 minutes, and then add the garlic and cumin – and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add rice. Add the rice to the pan, and stir almost constantly, browning it for a couple of minutes.
- Add liquids. Then add the chicken broth, Rotel, and salt and pepper. Cook at a simmer for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until liquids are absorbed.
- Add beans and lime juice. Add the black beans and the freshly squeezed lime juice, and let cook for another couple of minutes, or until the beans are warm.
- Serve. Serve rice with some chopped cilantro.
What to pair with this side dish:
- Steak Quesadilla Recipe – You can NEVER go wrong with quesadillas of any kind.
- Easy Fish Tacos with Avocado Crema – A perfect side dish for tacos, for sure.
- Easy Taco Crunch Wraps – These are fun for kids and adults alike!
Kitchen Tools used for this recipe: (Affiliate Links)
Make this Tex-Mex dish next: Easy Fish Tacos with Avocado Crema
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Spanish Rice and Beans
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion – diced
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 10 oz. Rotel – can use HOT version, if preferred
- 15 oz. black beans – rinsed and strained
- 1 large lime – freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup cilantro – chopped, for serving
- Heat medium stock pan on medium-high heat. Add olive oil and onion, and cook until soft. Add garlic and cumin and cook for 30 more seconds. Add rice and stir to brown for a couple of minutes.
- Add chicken broth, Rotel, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes. Then stir in black beans and freshly squeezed lime juice and cook for another couple minutes, until beans are warm.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
This rice has some kick and I love it!
The perfect spice level!
I am a TexMex loving girl and this is a good one!!
Wow, we must be sisters!! 🙂