Spanish Rice and Beans combines long grain rice, Rotel, black beans, fresh lime juice, and chopped cilantro. This is the perfect side dish for any Mexican Fiesta!
Introducing a side dish that uses mostly pantry ingredients and has big BIG flavor. I’m all about Tex-Mex cooking, and decided that after using this in my meal rotation for years, it needs to be an option for you too. While I sometimes enjoy it a main dish (hello protein-rich black beans), it’s usually best paired with some sort of Mexican main dish. Tacos, quesadillas, burritos, Mexican beef or pork carnitas.
Feel free to use brown long-grain rice instead of white. It is higher in fiber and protein, but I prefer the taste of white in this dish.
Ingredients needed for Spanish Rice and Beans:
- Olive Oil – You’ll need olive oil to sauté the onion and garlic.
- Onion and Garlic – Yellow onion and minced garlic.
- Rice – I use long-grain white rice for this recipe. Make sure you rinse your rise, unless you like it sticky.
- Chicken Broth – Lower-sodium chicken broth, always.
- Rotel – We often use the HOT version, but unless you like spicy, stick the mild version.
- Black Beans – Rinse and strain your black beans.
- Seasonings – Ground cumin, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Lime – One lime, freshly squeezed.
- Cilantro – Use some chopped cilantro to serve.
How to make Spanish Rice and Beans:
- Sauté onion and garlic. In a medium stock pot over medium-high heat, add some olive oil and the diced onion. Cook until soft, approximately 3-4 minutes, and then add the garlic and cumin – and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add rice. Add the rice to the pan, and stir almost constantly, browning it for a couple of minutes.
- Add liquids. Then add the chicken broth, Rotel, and salt and pepper. Cook at a simmer for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until liquids are absorbed.
- Add beans and lime juice. Add the black beans and the freshly squeezed lime juice, and let cook for another couple of minutes, or until the beans are warm.
- Serve. Serve rice with some chopped cilantro.
What to pair with this side dish:
- Steak Quesadilla Recipe – You can NEVER go wrong with quesadillas of any kind.
- Easy Fish Tacos with Avocado Crema – A perfect side dish for tacos, for sure.
- Easy Taco Crunch Wraps – These are fun for kids and adults alike!
Kitchen Tools used for this recipe: (Affiliate Links)
Make this Tex-Mex dish next: Easy Fish Tacos with Avocado Crema
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Spanish Rice and Beans
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion – diced
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 10 oz. Rotel – can use HOT version, if preferred
- 15 oz. black beans – rinsed and strained
- 1 large lime – freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup cilantro – chopped, for serving
- Heat medium stock pan on medium-high heat. Add olive oil and onion, and cook until soft. Add garlic and cumin and cook for 30 more seconds. Add rice and stir to brown for a couple of minutes.
- Add chicken broth, Rotel, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes. Then stir in black beans and freshly squeezed lime juice and cook for another couple minutes, until beans are warm.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.