Meat Lover’s Lasagna is a go-to meal for me with a house full of boys. It’s hearty with three different kinds of meat and three different kinds of cheese, and sticks to your stomach when you’re extra hungry!
At times, my boys are bottomless pits. Especially during their teenage years when they were growing like weeds. Now it’s difficult for Mike, Zach and I to finish a casserole this size. I love leftovers, but not the same food four days in a row. Which is why I decided to freeze some of the already cooked lasagna for Josh. I’ll send it back to college with him next time he’s home. That’s a win-win for both of us. You’re welcome Josh!
If you are planning meals for when family is in town or even game day, this one is a good one. You can assemble it, wrap it up tightly, and store it in the refrigerator for a day or two. All you need is a salad and some bread, and you are good to go.
The following photo collage includes the ingredients as well as the process of making my Meat Lover’s Lasagna. I like things spicy (surprise!) so I use hot turkey sausage, fire roasted diced tomatoes, and some red pepper flakes. But you could adjust to your liking and use regular turkey sausage, regular diced tomatoes, and skip the red pepper flakes.
I know. I’m a spice girl at heart. 🙂 Which is why YOU should make it the way YOU like it.
I did three layers for my lasagna after I put a little of the meat sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish (to prevent sticking).
- meat sauce (turkey sausage, lean ground beef, and 25% lean pepperoni plus tomatoes and mushrooms)
- cheese combo (ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan/romano plus an egg)
REPEAT three times, and then top with extra mozzarella/parmesan.
So the other really great thing about my Meat Lover’s Lasagna is that it’s more meat than sauce, so it sits up beautifully. Wanna impress your hungry guests? This will do it.
Other ideas for your special meal could be the following.
- A simple green salad, or one of my salads on the blog.
- My Mom’s French Bread – perfection!
- For dessert? How about French Silk Pie (my fav), Church Supper Cocoa Cake, or Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies!
Now you have your meal all planned out. Go take a nap! 🙂
What I posted last year this time: Creamy Jalapeño Stuffed Chicken
You can stay up-to-date with SueBee Homemaker by:
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
Meat Lovers Lasagna
- 12 whole lasagna noodles
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1.22 pound hot Italian sausage (or mild)
- 1 6 oz. package pepperoni
- 2 16 ounce diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3-4 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 jar sliced mushrooms drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon dried Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- additional mozzarella and parmesan cheeses for topping
- Boil noodles until al dente. Drain and rinse. Lay flat on clean dish towel.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses. Add egg and mix well. Keep in refrigerator until ready to assemble lasagna.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook until soft. Add garlic, ground beef, sausage, salt, and pepper (to taste) – and cook until browned. Drain excess fat and return meat to pan.
- Add pepperoni, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, water, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt & pepper. Simmer on medium low for 20 – 30 minutes. Remove and cool slightly.
- To assemble lasagna, add a small amount of sauce to bottom of pan. Layer noodles, meat sauce, and cheese mixture. Repeat three times, depending on the size of your pan. (I did three layers.)
- Top with additional mozzarella cheese and bake, uncovered, for approximately 45 minutes (or until slightly golden brown on top) at 350 degrees.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.