This Grilled Salmon Burger Recipe is full of healthy fats and tons of taste. Use fresh salmon, a tasty blackening seasoning, and some delicious avocado crema to make the BEST burgers ever!
Big Green Egg Salmon
Burger month is here, ya’ll. May is often one of my favorite months here in the south, because the weather is warm but not hot, the yard is bright green (thanks to my hubby and his yard/plant skills), and it’s prime grilling season. There is nothing better than smelling the charcoal from our BGE (Big Green Egg), and then filling it with our favorite meats and veggies.
For these salmon burgers, I elected to make them inside in my cast iron skillet due to time constraints amidst a stormy weather week – my LEAST favorite part of May! While these burgers are delicate, I think you could totally make them on an outdoor grill as well.
Ingredients Needed for Blackened Salmon Burgers:
Let’s go shopping, ya’ll. Or in my case, order on-line! Have I told you how much I love on-line access to groceries as I continue to fight chronic foot pain? Love the ease and convenience, even though I miss choosing my own produce.
- Fresh Salmon – Buy the salmon withOUT skin, or remove it. We eat salmon almost every week, so I keep it handy in the freezer.
- Panko breadcrumbs, an egg, and parmesan cheese – These items make the salmon patties stick together and add flavor. Everything goes right in the food processor.
- Blackened Seasoning – I use a similar seasoning for my Skillet Blackened Tilapia. Most of these items should be in your pantry, and it’s a simple combo of paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, and salt. Pro-Tip: Keep a large batch of this in a mason jar, ready to go!
- Olive Oil – You’ll need just a couple of tablespoons for pan frying. If you make the salmon patties on the grill, just brush a light coating of oil on them to prevent sticking.
- Avocado Crema Ingredients – This simple mixture combines one large avocado, sour cream light (or you could use plain Greek yogurt), cilantro, lime, and garlic salt. This topping is SO unbelievable, so don’t skip it please!
- Hamburger Buns – I got the baking gene from my momma, so of course, I had to whip up some homemade buns using Norma Jean’s Whole Wheat Honey Bread recipe! But hey, you could use store-bought as well. 😀
How to make Blackened Salmon Burgers with Avocado Crema:
Prep the patties. Cut the salmon in chunks and place in a food processor. Add the Panko crumbs, an egg, and parmesan cheese, and pulse until it resembles ground meat. Dump the mixture into a bowl, and using your hands, form into four patties.
Make the seasoning. In a small bowl, combine the paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, and salt. Spread the seasoning on both sides of salmon patties, adding a good amount to each one. (You most likely won’t use all the seasoning.)
Prepare the Avocado Crema. In your food processor, combine the avocado, sour cream, cilantro, lime, and garlic salt. Pulse until creamy. Test for seasoning.
Cook the burgers. Heat some olive oil in a large cast iron skilletover medium high heat. Gently add two of the salmon patties, and cook until done, about 2-3 minutes per side. Repeat for remaining two patties. The cooking time will vary, depending on the heat of your cooking surface and the thickness of the salmon patties.
Serve. Take a hamburger bun, lay some thin tomato slices on the bottom, followed by a salmon burger, and topped with a big scoop of Avocado Crema. EAT!
Beware: These salmon burgers are both delicious and messy! My guys like to add just a bit of the Avocado Crema on top, and then dip each bite in more!
Let’s talk about how good my homemade whole wheat hamburger buns taste with these burgers, or any burgers. In addition to the amazing taste, they freeze well. Instead of wasting half of a package of store-bought buns each time you grill, you can simply remove a few homemade buns from the freezer, and enjoy the best taste. I highly recommend giving it a go! And yes, my family is so spoiled. 😀
What to serve with these delicious burgers:
- Classic Wedge Salad – Love this combo of ingredients, and that blue cheese dressing.
- Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad – Summer equals pasta salad, and I’m all in on this one.
- Herb Buttery Smashed Potatoes – There is no such thing as too many potatoes in our home.
- End your meal with some freshly baked cookies, like my Super Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies or my Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. So good!
Make this salmon recipe next: Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon
Grilled Salmon Burger Recipe
For the salmon burgers:
- 20 oz. fresh salmon fillet
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil – or more as needed, for cooking
- hamburger buns of your choice – use my Whole Wheat Honey Bread for homemade version, or use store-bought
- tomato slices – to serve
For the blackened seasoning:
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper – more or less, depending if you like spicy
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Crema:
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream light – or you can use plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 medium lime – freshly squeezed
For the salmon:
- Take the salmon, place in a food processor, along with Panko crumbs, parmesan cheese, and the egg, and pulse until it resembles ground meat. Form into four patties, and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Prep the blackened seasoning by mixing together the spices – the paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne, salt and pepper. Press the mixture onto both sides of the salmon.Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Gently place two patties in skillet, and cook for about 2-3 minutes before flipping. Cook another 2-3 minutes. Then repeat process for remaining two patties.
For the Avocado Crema:
- Using a food processor, combine the avocado, sour cream (or yogurt), cilantro, garlic salt, and the juice of one lime. Pulse until creamy. (This shouldn't be prepared more than a half hour in advance.)
- To serve, warm up hamburger buns, add tomato slices, salmon patties, and then follow with a scoop of Avocado Crema. You can also dip the burgers in the Avocado Crema! Enjoy!
- These burgers cook very quickly. I like to make them inside using my cast iron skillet, but you could make them on the grill too. Just brush both sides of patties with olive oil, and be gentle!
- Make up a large batch of the blackening seasoning and store in a mason jar. You’ll be surprised how much you use it.
- Don’t make the Avocado Crema too far in advance, for best results. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covering tightly with cling wrap.
- If you are a bread maker (or want to be!) try making some homemade hamburger buns using my Whole Wheat Honey Bread recipe on the blog. I keep a stock of these in my freezer.