One Pot Lasagna Soup is THE simplest way to enjoy lasagna without all the fuss. Made in one pot in under an hour, this easy soup will impress even the pickiest of eaters.
Soup Season at our home looks like a constant rotations of flavors and textures. We love a spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup, a creamy Autumn Squash Soup, or a hearty Beef Barley Vegetable Soup on any given night of the week!
Any lasagna lovers out there? I seeeeee you.
I’m all about lasagna in all shapes, sizes, and versions. All meat lasagna, veggie lasagna, white sauce lasagna, lasagna roll ups, and then THIS. Lasagna Soup. Since I have a house full of boys, I opted to make a meaty soup, with ALL the flavor.
If you haven’t tried my Meat Lover’s Lasagna, you should do that soon. It’s a favorite here, and you’ll have leftovers for days. In fact, I modified that recipe to make this soup.
Here’s why we love my One Pot Lasagna Soup.
- It’s meaty – for the boys.
- You can make it one pot. Bonus.
- It is ready to serve in less than an hour. Another bonus.
- The noodles cook IN the soup, instead of cooking them separately.
- It has a slight spicy kick. (But you could cut back on it.)
- You can make this dairy-free if you leave out the cheese when serving. But I’ll have more cheese please.
- The taste is phenomenal. You’ll like it. Trust me.
Ingredients needed for Lasagna Soup:
- Olive Oil – Use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for sautéing the veggies.
- Onion + Garlic – The only veggies in this soup, and they add tons of flavor.
- Ground Beef – I used a ground sirloin that was 90% lean, but you could use whatever you have on hand. You could also sub ground turkey or sausage, or a combo of your choosing.
- Seasonings – Italian Seasoning, Basil, Red Pepper Flakes, and S (salt) &P (pepper).
- Tomato Paste – Use three tablespoons for all the flavor.
- Diced Tomatoes – I used fire roasted diced tomatoes, but any variety works well.
- Broth – Use lower sodium chicken broth to better control the salt content.
- Lasagna Noodles – I used 10-11 noodles and broke them into bite sized pieces. The noodles get cooked directly in the pot with everything else.
- Cheese – To serve, you can use a variety of cheese – ricotta, mozzarella, and/or parmesan.
How to make One Pot Lasagna Soup:
- Sauté veggies. In a large stock pot over medium high heat, add olive oil. When warm, add diced onions and cook for a few minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Cook ground meat. Add meat to the stock pot, and seasonings – the Italian Seasoning, basil, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Cook until meat is cooked through.
- Add tomatoes and broth. Then add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth. Stir well and bring heat to boiling. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Cook noodles. Then add broken up lasagna noodles, and cook until al dente, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Serve. Serve lasagna soup with a variety of cheeses – ricotta (our fav!), mozzarella, and/or parmesan.
This recipe makes eight large bowls of soup. It also makes GREAT leftovers. You will most likely need to add additional broth as the noodles continue to soak up the liquid in the soup.
Here are some variations you could make to this soup recipe:
- Use sausage or ground turkey, or a combination of any meat you like best.
- Beef broth or veggie broth could be substituted if so desired.
- You can use any noodles here. They don’t have to be lasagna noodles.
- Add some veggies like zucchini, squash, fresh mushrooms, spinach, etc.
- Make individual lasagna soup bakes by adding sliced cheese to the top of oven-ready bowls (individual size), and bake to melt the cheese before serving.
I’m a big fan of soup in the cooler months. This one will be on our rotation all year long. Enjoy!
What to serve WITH Lasagna Soup:
- Chewy French Bread – To dip and soak up all of that goodness!
- Arugula Caprese Salad – The easiest salad.
- Italian Chopped Salad with Creamy Italian Dressing – A great big, delicious salad so you have leftovers all week long!
- Frozen Kahlua Cocktails – The perfect after-dinner dessert cocktail.
One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic – diced
- 2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 3 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 30 oz. diced fire roasted tomatoes – canned
- 10-12 cups lower sodium chicken broth
- 10-11 lasagna noodles – broken into pieces
- ricotta, mozzarella cheese, and/or parmesan cheese – to serve
- In a large stock pot on medium high heat, add olive oil and onion. Sauté until soft, approximately 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add ground meat to pot, and seasonings (Italian Seasoning, basil, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper). Cook until meat is cooked through completely.
- Add fire roasted tomatoes and tomato paste, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Then add chicken broth and get the soup simmering (bubbling slightly). Add broken lasagna noodles, and cook until al dente. You may need to add additional chicken broth for the leftovers.
- Serve soup with ricotta (our fav!), mozzarella cheese and/or parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- You can use ground turkey instead of ground beef, sub other noodles instead of lasagna noodles, and add veggies like squash, zucchini, fresh mushrooms, or spinach.
- For a change, bake individual soup bowls in the oven with a layer of cheese on top.
- Don’t like spicy? Leave out the red pepper flakes and use regular diced tomatoes instead of fire-roasted.
- Leftovers are good for up to 4 days, stored in the refrigerator.