Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce is quick and simple, requiring mostly pantry staples and just 30 minutes. Once you taste this homemade sauce, you won’t go back to store-bought!
I very rarely buy jarred marinara sauce anymore, even though I currently have one in the corner of my pantry. It’s like an emergency jar (hellooooo Prego!), just in case I NEED some and don’t have the necessary ingredients to make my own.
But seriously. Homemade Marinara Sauce is so dang easy. You know exactly what you’re eating, and it tastes better too.
Ingredients needed for Homemade Marinara Sauce:
This is a 30-minute sauce, friends. And while it simmers, you can be making the meatballs or veggies you plan to eat with it. So easy, but way more delicious than store-bought. I promise!
- Olive Oil – For sautéing the veggies, and for flavor.
- Onion & Garlic – These are the only two fresh veggies, and we’ll sauté them in olive oil.
- Crushed Tomatoes – The quickest way to make sauce is to buy the crushed. BUT, you could buy whole tomatoes and then crush them yourself.
- Diced Tomatoes – I prefer the fire-roasted tomatoes always, but you can always use regular, or mild.
- Tomato Paste – 3-4 Tablespoons is just right for this recipe.
- Chicken Broth – Some of this will cook down during the process.
- Sugar – Just a pinch to balance all the acidity from the tomatoes.
- Spices – Basil, Italian Seasoning, and kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
How to make Homemade Marinara Sauce:
- Sauté veggies. In a medium stock pot, sauté the onions in a little olive oil over medium heat. When the onions are soft and translucent, add the garlic and stir for another 30 seconds or so.
- Add remaining ingredients. Then add all the tomatoes (crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste), the chicken broth, sugar, and spices. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook. Continue cooking the sauce for about 20-25 minutes, or until the sauce cooks down slightly.
- Test. Taste the marinara sauce, and add more seasonings, if desired.
- Serve. Serve this homemade sauce over meatballs, veggies, and/or pasta. Enjoy!
What to serve with this easy Homemade Marinara:
- Classic Chicken Parmesan Recipe – These go hand in hand, and I highly recommend!
- Veggies – We also love spaghetti squash and mushrooms with this sauce, but you could also try zucchini noodles or another squash.
- Pasta – Any pasta noodle works great. I also like to add a bunch of cheese, especially ricotta (my fav)!
Kitchen Tools used for this recipe:
- Dutch Oven – I used my Dutch Oven for this recipe, but any pan will work just fine.
- Global 7-inch Knife – My favorite knife.
Make this pasta dish next: Rigatoni Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion – chopped
- 2 cloves garlic – diced
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz. fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3-4 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth, sugar, dried basil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for another 15-20 minutes.