White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies are the perfect mix of sweet and salty, loaded with white chocolate chips and chopped macadamia nuts. These chewy bakery-style cookies are best enjoyed with a tall glass of milk and some friends!
Cookie Monster Alert! When I’m not drooling over these cookies, I’m loving so many others like some Salted Caramel Stuffed Cookies, our fave Brown Butter Toffee Cookies, and these fruity Lemon Sugar Cookies!
Hawaiian Macadamia Nut Cookies
We got hooked on these cookies several years ago while on our first trip to Hawaii. Vivid memories of warm white chocolate macadamia nut cookies while on a catamaran on the beautiful Napali Coast of Kauai will always be my first thought. If that doesn’t make you want to eat all the cookies, I’m not sure what will!
These cookies are so many things. 😀
- Soft and chewy – a perfect texture
- Sweet – from the white chocolate chips
- Salty – due to those macadamia nuts and a sprinkling of salt after baking
- Addicting – but that’s ok!
Ingredients needed for White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies:
- Butter – Use unsalted butter that has been softened to room temperature.
- Sugars – I use a combo of brown and granulated sugars.
- Eggs – Two large eggs (room temperature is best).
- Vanilla – I love the Watkins brand.
- Flour – Use all-purpose flour.
- Baking Essentials – Baking soda, baking powder, and kosher salt.
- Macadamia Nuts – I used dry roasted with sea salt, and roughly chopped them..
- White Chocolate Chips – One cup, plus a few more to add to the tops.
How to make White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies:
Mix the wet ingredients. In a standing mixer, cream together the softened butter and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again.
Add the dry ingredients. To the mixer, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and kosher salt and mix until just combined.
Add white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir the chips and nuts in by hand until well distributed.
Refrigerate. Roll the dough into 20 balls. Refrigerate these cookie dough balls for a couple of hours or overnight.
Prep. When ready, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Bake. Place cookie balls on cookie sheets, six at a time, and bake for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until they are slightly golden on top.
Cool. Let the cookies sit on the pans for 5-10 minutes before removing them to cooling racks.
Store. Store in an airtight container or a freezer bag. These can be frozen up to three months.
Cookie Baking Tips:
- Use room temperature butter and eggs to up your cookie game. This allows the ingredients to form an emulsion which traps air. While baking, this trapped air expansionists to produce a fluffier cookie. Using cold ingredients will prevent this magic from happening.
- Chill your dough. This will allow the fat in the cookies to chill and firm up. When baking, this chilled fat will prevent an over-spreading of the cookies. The resting time will also allow the flour to soak up the liquids in the dough. When the cookies are fully-hydrated, they brown better, bake more evenly, and have a more complex flavor.
- Bake your cookies to YOUR preference. If you like your cookies darker, bake them longer. If you like them gooey, then slightly under-bake them. You do you!
- Bake one batch at a time. If using a regular oven, baking one batch at a time is recommended for more even baking. If using a convection oven, you can bake two batches at a time.
Over-Spreading TIP: If the cookies spread too much, take them out of the oven, fix them with a spoon, and place back in the oven to finish baking.
Facts about macadamia nuts:
- While the macadamia nut originated in Australia, most commercial production is done in Hawaii, on the big island.
- Macadamia nuts are the worlds most expensive nuts because it takes 7-10 years for the trees to begin producing. They average $25 per pound.
- These nuts are so popular because of their rich, buttery flavor.
- Macadamia nuts are rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, and healthy fats.
Kitchen Tools Used: (affiliate links)
Make this cookie recipe next: Best Ever Peanut Butter Cookies
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter – softened to room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs – at room temp
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup macadamia nuts – roughly chopped
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- plus a sprinkling of kosher salt after baking
- In a standing mixer, cream the butter and sugars together. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again.
- Then add the dry ingredients – the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until just combined.
- Add the roughly chopped macadamia nuts and the white chocolate chips and stir. I nomally do this by hand.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place six cookies on a baking sheet and add extra nuts and white chips to the top.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown on top. Add a sprinkle of kosher salt to the top of the freshly baked cookies. Let the cookies sit on pans for about 5-10 before moving to cooling rack.
- Transfer cookies to cooling racks to cool completely.