Sausage Gnocchi Soup
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share a commission.
Sausage Gnocchi Soup is a simple soup recipe that you can have on your table in 45 minutes or less. This soup is slightly spicy, hearty, and delicious – and it pairs perfectly with a sandwich or chunk of bread.
Italian soups are always some of our favorites. We rotate between Italian Wedding Soup, Italian Minestrone Soup with Pesto, and a classic – One Pot Lasagna Soup. So much deliciousness!
Sausage and Gnocchi
Sausage and Gnocchi are so perfectly paired together. For other inspo, try my Crispy Sheet Pan Gnocchi with Sausage and Vegetables or my Sausage and Gnocchi Skillet.
What is gnocchi? (pronounced n-yawk-ee)
Gnocchi are an Italian product, similar to pasta, but are made with 85% potato. The most common ingredients are cooked and mashed potatoes, flour, and eggs. Sometimes, ricotta is added to the dough as well.
Gnocchi have a light, pillowy texture and more of a dumpling. They are excellent with different types of sauces and cook up relatively quick. You can make homemade gnocchi, but store-bought is also delicious and readily available in most grocery sores.
- Olive Oil – I normally use extra-virgin olive oil, but other oils could be substituted as well.
- Onion and Garlic – You’ll need to sauté some diced onion and minced garlic to start the soup.
- Sausage – I used pre-cooked sausage links. You could use any type – pork or chicken. You could also buy raw sausage and cook it as well.
- Seasonings – I used a little bit of Italian Seasoning, Basil, Onion powder, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Feel free to play with your own seasoning blend!
- Tomatoes – I love fire-roasted diced tomatoes and often buy “salsa-style”. Use any variety of diced tomatoes you like best.
- Tomato Paste – A couple of tablespoons adds excellent depth of flavor.
- Broth – Lower-sodium chicken broth.
- Gnocchi – This recipe calls for two pounds of potato gnocchi.
- Pesto Sauce – Using a little bit of pesto sauce adds incredible flavor to this soup. I love using my homemade basil pesto sauce, but you could buy it as well.
How to make Sausage Gnocchi Soup
You can prepare this entire soup in less than 45 minutes. It’s simple and delicious and makes a perfect weeknight meal!
Sauté veggies. In a medium stock pot, heat olive oil to medium-high heat. Add diced onions and cook for a few minutes, until softened slightly. Then add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
Add sausage and seasonings. Add chopped sausage and the seasonings, and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
Add liquids. Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Simmer gnocchi and pesto. Reduce heat to a simmer, and add gnocchi and pesto sauce. Cook until the gnocchi is soft, about 8-10 minutes.
Serve. Serve soup with freshly shaved parmesan cheese and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Prepare pesto sauce in advance. While you can use store-bought pesto, homemade is SO much better. I make large batches at a time and store in small containers in our freezer. It makes it so convenient.
- Keep your pantry stocked with chicken stock, tomatoes, olive oil, and gnocchi. I also keep onions and garlic handy at all times.
- Feel free to use different types of sausage in this recipe. You can use pre-cooked as in this recipe or buy raw sausage and cook in with the onion (in step one).
- Double the recipe! This recipe makes five small bowls or four larger ones. You may want to double it for leftovers all week long.
What to serve with soup
- A simple salad. Try my Arugula Caprese Salad!
- A sandwich. We love Open-Faced Tuna Melts and Roasted Vegetable Pesto Paninis.
- Slices of bread. Try my Chewy French Bread or my Homemade Hoagie Rolls. We also love some Easy Rosemary Focaccia Bread!
Kitchen Tools Used: (affiliate links)
Sausage Gnocchi Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 oz. sausage links (I used cajun style andouille) – chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 15 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds potato gnocchi
- 1/4 cup pesto sauce – homemade recipe is on the blog
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and cook until slightly softened, about four minutes. Then add the garlic and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped sausage and seasonings, and cook for another few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Then add the gnocchi and pesto sauce, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until gnocchi is cooked, approximtely 8-10 minutes.
- Taste to check seasonings. Serve with some freshly shaved parmesan cheese and some fresh bread.
We love gnocchi in our house so when we saw this was also a soup, we immediately added it to our “cold weather rotation”!
This is a really good hearty soup! Perfectly warms up for leftovers.
Thanks so much Sherri!
This hit the spot. Incredible recipe!
Thanks so much!
This is the perfect cold weather soup recipe. Thanks!
Thanks for trying it!
I love gnocchi and there was cold weather coming, so I could not resist this recipe! The soup came together very quickly for a weekday lunch and was hearty and delicious. My husband proclaimed it excellent because he loved the little hit of pesto. Great recipe!
Soup season is chilly but tasty! Enjoy Linda!