Turkey Taco Soup combines lean ground turkey with chopped veggies, canned beans and tomatoes, frozen corn, and taco seasoning. Load it up with all the toppings for the perfect bowl of cozy on any night of the week!
Soup Season at our home looks like a constant rotations of flavors and textures. We love a spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup, a creamy Autumn Squash Soup, or a hearty Beef Barley Vegetable Soup on any given night of the week!
Best Taco Soup
I’m not sure about you, but a big ole’ bowl of soup is probably one of my favorite meals during the cooler months. Now that I’m actually cooking in a real live functioning kitchen (and beautiful, I might add!), I’m whipping up all the soups. Depending on how many boys I am feeding, I often times double the recipes so that I can eat leftover soup at lunch time.
Soup on soup on soup!
Turkey Taco Soup is my go-to for so many reasons.
- lean and mean – only 418 calories for a large bowl
- high in protein AND filling – two pounds of meat plus 2 cans of beans
- the perfect amount of spice – taco seasoning plus jalapeño (which is optional, of course)
- ready in an hour (or less if you prep the night before)
- made in ONE pot
- delish, obviously, because TACO SOUP!
I’m a sucker for anything Tex-Mex, and this soup is no exception. Trust me. You’re gonna love it!
How to make Turkey Taco Soup:
- Brown the meat. In a medium stock pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey, onions, and jalapeños. Cook until the turkey is browned and cooked through completely. Then add the garlic and homemade taco seasoning. Stir well, and cook for another few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Then add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and pinto beans. Bring mixture to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve. Serve the soup with Mexican cheese, Tostito chips, sour cream, avocado slices, cilantro, and extra jalapeño.
There are different ways to season this soup.
- Use a store bought packet of taco seasoning.
- Add a simple mixture of chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Make up a large batch of my homemade taco seasoning to use for ALL of your taco needs!
ALL the toppings make this soup POP!
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Tostito chips
- avocado slices
- jalapeño (for kick – optional, of course)
My hubby eats his taco soup plain. Mine? It’s loaded, just like it should be! Enjoy, ya’ll!
Turkey Taco Soup
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion – diced
- 1 large jalapeno – diced (with seeds) – optional
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 3 Tablespoons homemade taco seasoning – or use store-bought
- 30 oz. fire-roasted diced tomatoes, canned – including juices
- 30 oz. pinto beans, canned – or any preferred beans
- 10 oz. frozen corn
- 3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- avocado slices, sour cream, Tostito chips, shredded cheese, cilantro – to serve
- In a large stock pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add ground turkey, onion and jalapeños, and sauté until turkey is browned and cooked through. Add garlic and taco seasoning, and stir for another 30 seconds or so.
- Next add tomatoes, beans, corn, and chicken broth. Simmer for 20 – 30 minutes or so to fully absorb flavors.
- To serve, add any combination of avocado slices, sour cream, Tostito chips, cheese, green onions, and cilantro.
- For best results, use my homemade taco seasoning. Can also use a store-bought package of seasoning.
- You can switch out the beans for any variety that you like.
- Ground beef can also be substituted for ground turkey.
- This recipe can be placed in a slow cooker after meat is browned, and allowed to simmer all day long.
- Leftovers may need extra broth.