Best Italian Chopped Salad with Salami is full of vibrant ingredients, and makes dinner time interesting. Combining romaine lettuce with veggies, chick peas, olives, mozzarella cheese, salami, and a creamy Italian Dressing encourages healthy eating all week long.
Best Chopped Salad
Mike and I recently went out for pizza at a new place in our area, and started out with a huge Italian Chopped Salad. It was similar to this one, and I enjoyed it SO much – maybe even more than the pizza. GASP! I knew I needed to recreate it because I get tired of the same old salads.
Variety of ingredients is key to enjoying salads. When I was in college, I ate the most boring combo over and over again – iceberg lettuce, carrots, cottage cheese, croutons, and French Dressing (remember that orange bottled dressing?). Maybe that’s why I always craved candy after dinner.
Ingredients needed for Best Italian Chopped Salad:
- Lettuce Greens – Use any of your favorite salad greens for this salad. I always change the mixture whenever I make it – romaine, red and green lettuce, kale, spinach, and any mixture.
- Sliced Mushrooms – I prefer Baby Bella mushrooms in this salad, but white button mushrooms work too.
- Plum Tomatoes – I used a colorful variety mix of tomatoes.
- Red Onion – Slice them thin!
- Chick Peas – One of my favorite salad toppings EVER. So good and a great source of protein and fiber.
- Olives – I prefer black olives over green, but you do you.
- Hard Salami – This salty meat will definitely make your guys want to eat salad. 😀
- Mozzarella Cheese – Buy a block of cheese and cube it.
- Parmesan Cheese – Use a cheese grater to grate your own wedge of parm.
You won’t get bored with this salad. I promise.
Let’s talk about the Creamy Italian Dressing!
I used two parts olive oil to one part red wine vinegar, a tablespoon of Dijon Mustard, a couple of teaspoons of sugar, and a delicious spice combo of salt, pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder. Seriously creamy and yes, just a tiny bit of sugar.
Skip the Ranch Dressing and go for this one!
How to make Best Italian Chopped Salad
Prep ingredients. Clean and chop the lettuce, slice the onion and tomatoes, cube the cheese, halve the salami, and strain the chick peas and olives.
Combine. Add all salad ingredients to a large salad bowl – the lettuce, radicchio, mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, chick peas, olives, cheese, and salami – and toss.
Make dressing. Measure all salad dressing ingredients into a mason jar, and shake vigorously. Store in the refrigerator until ready to dress individual servings.
EAT. Enjoy the BEST Italian Chopped Salad! 😀
Here’s what I recommend if you want to make this salad last all work week.
- Buy your ingredients on the weekend.
- Prep all your ingredients on Sunday. Wrap the veggies in paper towel and keep them in storage bags or containers. Make the salad dressing as well and keep everything in the refrigerator.
- Mix up half of the salad on Monday at dinner time, and store in airtight container. Add dressing to individual servings.
- When the first half is gone, mix up the remaining ingredients.
- Enjoy it ALL week long!
Other healthy and delicious salads for you to try:
- Mexican Quinoa Salad with Avocado Crema – A personal fav, and one that’s a full meal for me.
- Chopped Greek Pasta Salad – Great for summertime barbecues.
- Crunchy Asian Cabbage Salad – THE most popular recipe on my blog, currently.
Make this delicious salad next: Shaved Cauliflower Salad with Lemon Dressing
Best Italian Chopped Salad with Salami
For the salad:
- 16 cups salad greens (or more) – cleaned and chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion – sliced thin
- 1 cup grape tomatoes – halved
- 8 ounces sliced Bella mushrooms
- 15 oz. garbanzo beans – rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup black olives – sliced
- 3-4 ounces salami – sliced in strips
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese – cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoona sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- For the salad: Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl, or six main dish serving bowls.
- For the dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients in a salad shaker or a mason jar. Shake well, and drizzle over salads to serve.