Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowls are classic Tex-Mex. Grill up some marinated chicken breasts and add rice, beans, onions, peppers, and all the toppings. This one is a favorite!
We grill a TON of chicken at our house. And when we grill, we make extra so I can convert it into another meal of some kind…like chicken paninis, chicken quesadillas, chicken tacos, and chicken Cobb salads. This chicken, however, has a special marinade on it – so it’s perfect for anything Tex-Mex. It has a nice spicy kick and the marinade makes the chicken tender perfect. I also use this marinade on flank steak for fajitas or tacos.
The Big Green Egg is the real master chef.
The other thing that makes this chicken delicious is our BIG GREEN EGG!! It gives the meat a nice smokey flavor even when we don’t use the low and slow smoking method. Mike loves it (see below!), and we rarely use our gas grill anymore.
Ingredients needed for Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowls:
- Chicken – 3 pounds of chicken breast (boneless, skinless).
- Marinade – Olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, black pepper, sugar, and freshly squeezed lime.
- Peppers and Onions – Just sauté up a bunch of onions and peppers, along with a little salt and pepper. You could also add a little bit of cumin for a smokey flavor.
- Rice – Go with any kind of rice here, or make some Cilantro Lime Rice or Spanish Rice. So many choices!
- Beans – I use anything I have – black beans, pinto beans, or cannelloni beans.
- Corn – You can use canned corn, frozen, or cook some corn on the cob.
- Tomatoes – Cherry tomatoes for the win.
- Other Toppings – Mexican cheese, sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt), and salsa. I often times make Salsa Verde, Homemade Salsa, Chipotle Ranch Dressing, or some Avocado Crema instead of using sour cream and salsa.
How to make Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowls:
- Butterfly chicken breasts. If your chicken breasts are thick, butterfly them so cooking time will be shorter and more even.
- Prep marinade. Combine the marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl, and place in a freezer bag along with the chicken breasts. Let sit for at least an hour in your refrigerator.
- Make rice. I love using my instant pot to make my rice. My favorite rice to go with these burrito bowls is my Cilantro Lime Rice. Another option is my Spanish Rice.
- Sauté veggies. In a large sauté pan, cook the onions and peppers in some olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook until softened.
- Cook corn. Cook the corn in some boiling water for about five minutes. Since in cool water and then slice the corn off the cobs. You can also use canned corn here.
- Prepare toppings. Prepare whatever toppings you decide to make for these bowls.
- Grill chicken. – Prepare an outdoor grill to medium heat. Grill chicken until completely done throughout. A digital thermometer should read 165 degrees in the thickest part of the meat. After the chicken has rested, slice to serve.
- Serve. Combine the chicken, rice, beans, corn, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and all the toppings in bowls, and enjoy!
Kitchen Tools used for this recipe: (Affiliate Links)
- Global 7-inch Knife – My fav kitchen knife.
- Instant Pot – Used to make the rice.
- Stainless-Steel Grill Tongs 17-inch – These get a lot of use while grilling!
Grill up this one next: Grilled Steak Kabobs with Vegetables
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowls
For the chicken marinade:
- 3 pounds chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 whole lime – freshly squeezed
For the peppers and onions:
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion – sliced thin
- 2 large bell peppers – any variety, sliced thin
- kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, cumin – to taste
For the remaining side ingredients:
- 6 cups prepared rice – brown, white, Cilantro Lime, or Spanish
- 2 cans black beans – rinsed and drained
- 5 ears corn – or use canned corn
- avocados, shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream, salsa – for serving
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and put into freezer bag. Combine all ingredients for the chicken marinade and pour into bag with the chicken. Zip the bag tight and massage the marinade around into the chicken. Store in refrigerator for at least an hour. You can also freeze this for a quick future meal.
- Light an outdoor grill (or can be done indoors) and regulate heat to approximately 375 degrees. Grill chicken for approximately 20 – 25 minutes or until done (165 degrees on a meat thermometer). Let meat sit on kitchen counter for 15 minutes and then slice into strips.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice peppers and onions and saute in olive oil until soft. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Cook the corn in a pot of boiling water, reducing heat to simmer for about 5 minutes. Rinse in cold water, and then slice the corn off the cobs.
- Drain and rinse black beans.
- Make any kind of rice you like best – plain white or brown rice, Cilantro Lime Rice (our favorite), or Spanish Rice.
- To assemble, add rice, beans, peppers, onions, chicken, and desired toppings to the bowl. Dig in!