When I need a quick and easy meal, I’m going with these Classic Egg Salad Sandwiches. Just boiled eggs and a few simple ingredients make these an easy go-to, and the protein fills you up!
Eggs have always been my go-to when I’m short on time. When the boys were young, we ate breakfast burritos at least once a week for dinner. Juggling sports and other activities was such a busy time. Oh, the memories!
Now that the nest is (almost) empty, we still eat eggs for dinner, but it’s because we enjoy them. A simple frittata, my Mexican Breakfast Skillet, or our current fav – Poached eggs Avocado Toast. So it’s time to share another favorite – these super easy Egg Salad Sandwiches. A classic dish that we always enjoy.
Ingredients needed for Classic Egg Salad Sandwiches:
- Eggs – You’ll need eight boiled eggs for this classic egg salad. You can make them on the stove top or the instant pot.
- Mayo – I use an olive oil/mayo combo, that is on the lighter side.
- Mustard – Dijon Mustard for the win!
- Lemon Juice – Just a squeeze of lemon juice, or about one teaspoon.
- Fresh Herbs – Dill and chives, both minced finely.
- S&P – Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, always.
- Optional – A pinch of sugar, if you like your egg salad on the sweeter side.
- To serve – Brioche buns (store-bought or homemade!), pickled onions, and tomato slices.
How to make Classic Egg Salad Sandwiches:
- Boil Eggs. Use either the stove top or the instant pot method. Both are detailed below.
- Add remaining ingredients. Chop eggs and add to a bowl. Then add remaining ingredients – mayo, mustard, lemon juice, dill, chives, salt, pepper, and sugar (optional). Mix well.
- Serve. Serve egg salad in buns, open-faced on toast, or on a bed of lettuce.
How to make Hard Boiled Eggs:
Instant Pot Method:
- Place egg trivet on bottom of instant pot. Fill with eggs and add a cup of water to the pot. Place lid on instant pot, and close vent.
- Set instant pot to pressure cook for three minutes. After it cooks, let it do a slow release for 10 minutes. Remove lid.
- Remove eggs to an ice bath for five minutes.
- Place eggs on a towel, and then peel.
- Gently place eggs in a stock pan. Cover with water and add a big shake of either salt or baking soda. Secure lid on top.
- Turn burner to high and bring eggs to a boil. Don’t lift lid.
- When eggs reach a boil, turn burner off and set timer to 11 minutes. Leave pan on burner with lid on securely.
- After timer beeps, place pan in your sink, and run cold water over the eggs.
- Let the eggs sit for about 10 minutes. Remove eggs to dry towel on counter.
- Peel eggs. The shell should come off very easily.
Note: If your eggs are very fresh, they won’t peel well. It’s best to use eggs that you’ve had in your refrigerator for awhile.
Try this egg recipe next: Classic Deviled Eggs
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Classic Egg Salad Sandwiches
- 8 large eggs – boiled and cooled
- 1/4 cup light mayo
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill – minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives – diced
- salt and pepper – to taste
- a pinch of sugar – optional
- 4 buns – for serving
- tomato slices and pickled onions – for serving
- Boil eggs according to either my stove-top or instant pot method. See blog for more details.
- When eggs are cooled, rough chop them, and add to mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients, and mix well.
- Serve on buns, toast, or a bed of lettuce.