When I need a quick and easy meal, I’m going with these Classic Egg Salad Sandwiches. Just boiled eggs and a few simple ingredients make these an easy go-to, and the protein fills you up!
Eggs have always been my go-to when I’m short on time. When the boys were young, we ate breakfast burritos at least once a week for dinner. Juggling sports and other activities was such a busy time. Oh, the memories!
Now that the nest is (almost) empty, we still eat eggs for dinner, but it’s because we enjoy them. A simple frittata, my Mexican Breakfast Skillet, or our current fav – Poached eggs Avocado Toast. So it’s time to share another favorite – these super easy Egg Salad Sandwiches. A classic dish that we always enjoy.
Ingredients needed for Classic Egg Salad Sandwiches:
- Eggs – You’ll need eight boiled eggs for this classic egg salad. You can make them on the stove top or the instant pot.
- Mayo – I use an olive oil/mayo combo, that is on the lighter side.
- Mustard – Dijon Mustard for the win!
- Lemon Juice – Just a squeeze of lemon juice, or about one teaspoon.
- Fresh Herbs – Dill and chives, both minced finely.
- S&P – Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, always.
- Optional – A pinch of sugar, if you like your egg salad on the sweeter side.
- To serve – Brioche buns (store-bought or homemade!), pickled onions, and tomato slices.
How to make Classic Egg Salad Sandwiches:
- Boil Eggs. Use either the stove top or the instant pot method. Both are detailed below.
- Add remaining ingredients. Chop eggs and add to a bowl. Then add remaining ingredients – mayo, mustard, lemon juice, dill, chives, salt, pepper, and sugar (optional). Mix well.
- Serve. Serve egg salad in buns, open-faced on toast, or on a bed of lettuce.
How to make Hard Boiled Eggs:
Instant Pot Method:
- Place egg trivet on bottom of instant pot. Fill with eggs and add a cup of water to the pot. Place lid on instant pot, and close vent.
- Set instant pot to pressure cook for three minutes. After it cooks, let it do a slow release for 10 minutes. Remove lid.
- Remove eggs to an ice bath for five minutes.
- Place eggs on a towel, and then peel.
- Gently place eggs in a stock pan. Cover with water and add a big shake of either salt or baking soda. Secure lid on top.
- Turn burner to high and bring eggs to a boil. Don’t lift lid.
- When eggs reach a boil, turn burner off and set timer to 11 minutes. Leave pan on burner with lid on securely.
- After timer beeps, place pan in your sink, and run cold water over the eggs.
- Let the eggs sit for about 10 minutes. Remove eggs to dry towel on counter.
- Peel eggs. The shell should come off very easily.
Note: If your eggs are very fresh, they won’t peel well. It’s best to use eggs that you’ve had in your refrigerator for awhile.
Try this egg recipe next: Classic Deviled Eggs
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Classic Egg Salad Sandwiches
When I need a quick and easy meal, I'm going with these Classic Egg Salad Sandwiches. Just boiled eggs and a few simple ingredients make these an easy go-to, and the protein fills you up!
- 8 large eggs – boiled and cooled
- 1/4 cup light mayo
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill – minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives – diced
- salt and pepper – to taste
- a pinch of sugar – optional
- 4 buns – for serving
- tomato slices and pickled onions – for serving
Boil eggs according to either my stove-top or instant pot method. See blog for more details.
When eggs are cooled, rough chop them, and add to mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients, and mix well.
Serve on buns, toast, or a bed of lettuce.