Quick Pickled Red Onions are a simple mixture of ingredients, that transforms raw onions to a crispy, tangy condiment. Add them to salads, sandwiches, eggs, and burgers. The possibilities are endless!
Are you more of a “load up the condiment” type of person, or an “everything plain and simple” type of person? Because if you are the former, you’re gonna be using these pickled onions on EVERYTHING. I’m definitely a condiment lover, because I love a variety of textures and layers of flavors in everything I eat. So if I’m consuming a sandwich or burger, I’m in need of a bib because I make quite the mess at every dang bite. But it’s WORTH IT.
Ingredients needed for Quick Pickled Red Onions:
- Red Onion – One medium onion, sliced thin.
- Water – Use about 1 1/2 cups of water in your brine.
- Vinegar – I used 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, but you could substitute red wine vinegar or just plain distilled vinegar too.
- Sugar – Sugar is needed to make these slightly sweetened. However, you can use a natural sweetener too, like honey or maple syrup.
- Salt – Kosher salt or sea salt.
- Peppercorns – For some depth of flavor, optional.
How to make Quick Pickled Red Onions:
- Slice Onion. Using a medium red onion, slice it very thin, as pictured below.
- Make brine. Combine brine ingredients in small saucepan – the water, vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil and then simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Combine. Place red onions in a jar (about quart sized). Pour brine overtop and let cool.
- Store. Store pickled red onions in the refrigerator. I prefer to use them by two weeks.
Some recipes you can pair with red pickled onions:
- Salads – Pickled onions are so good with salads, like my Arugula Caprese Salad, Chopped Greek Pasta Salad, Simple Quinoa Salad with Goat Cheese, or Healthy Broccoli with Honey Dijon Dressing.
- Sandwiches – Try it with my Chickpea Salad Sandwiches, Classic Egg Salad Sandwiches, or Classic Tuna Melts.
- Other – These are great served with my Easy Fish Tacos, Instant Pot Crispy Pork Carnitas, or with these Healthy Tuna Patties.
Quick & Easy Pickled Onions
- 1 medium red onion – sliced paper thin
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- Slice the red onion in paper thin slices. Place in a jar.
- In a small sauce pan, combine water, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for a couple of minutes, or until sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour mixture over the onions.
- Let this mixture cool slightly before placing in the refrigerator to enjoy.