Chocolate Banana Zucchini Bread is a super moist, dense bread that includes shredded zucchini, mashed banana, and two types of chocolate. This easy bread can be made in just one bowl!
My mom made the best Chocolate Zucchini Muffins, and I’ve made them a hundred times. In addition to sharing her recipe, I’ve got another version, my Honey Cinnamon Zucchini Bread. Both are delicious and you should give them both a try!
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
My mom made the best zucchini treats, and every year when they are plentiful at farmer’s markets, I try something new. This one makes just one large loaf and includes a mashed banana, plus two types of chocolate. Unsweetened cocoa powder in the batter plus dark chocolate chips throughout.
While the chocolate is decadent, there is hidden (or not so hidden!) zucchini and mashed banana in this bread. A perfect way to incorporate healthy ingredients in a mouth-watering quick bread. And if you’ve added shredded zucchini to baked goods, you know that you can’t taste it. It just adds moisture which leads to a very moist, tender bread!
- The wet ingredients – A combo of one egg, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, brown sugar, mashed banana, and canola oil.
- Dry ingredients – A combo of flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Zucchini – The star of the show! Shredded zucchini adds moisture to this bread, making it super tender and delicious.
- Dark chocolate chips – Dark chips finish the one-two punch for that double chocolate bread. What’s better than one type of chocolate? TWO!
How to make chocolate banana zucchini bread
- Shred zucchini. Use a food chopper or a grater to shred enough zucchini to equal one cup. No need to peel the zucchini unless you prefer to do so. Set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients. In a mixing bowl, mash the banana with either a hand mixer or a fork. Add remaining wet ingredients – the egg, vanilla, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and canola oil. Use a whisk to combine well.
- Add the dry. Add the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon to the bowl. Carefully mix with a large spoon. Don’t over-mix.
- Fold in shredded zucchini and chocolate chips. Gently fold in the zucchini and the dark chocolate chips. Spoon into a loaf pan that has been prepared with baking spray.
- Bake. Bake the zucchini bread for approximately 35 – 38 minutes, or until done to your liking. The bread may be a little bit gooey in the middle but we like it that way!
- Cool and serve. Let the bread sit for 10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Let cool and slice to serve.
Storing – This bread stays fresh on the counter in an airtight container for up to three days.
Freezing – You can freeze this zucchini bread, if kept in freezer bags, for up to three months.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Should I peel the zucchini before using it in the bread? Either way is fine. You can choose to peel the zucchini or leave it on. For this recipe, I removed the ends and left the peel on. I like the way the specks of the skin show up in the bread!
- Do I need to squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini before using it? To be honest, I don’t. I leave the liquid in when I bake with it. But if you grate it and it noticeably has tons of extra moisture, then you could remove some of it.
- Why does my bread sink in the middle? Quick breads will occasionally sink in the middle after baking. This can happen for a variety of reasons, but I don’t let it bother me. We tend to like ours a little gooey in the center so I occasionally underbake it just a bit. You can try baking for longer, but it may still sink. (If you look at my photos, the one in the pan hasn’t sunk. But if you look at the others, it has sunk slightly.)
- Can I skip the chocolate chips and add nuts? YES. I’ve subbed nuts for chips and it’s very delicious as well.
This bread makes a perfect gift. Wrap it up in cellophane, tie a ribbon around it, and attach the recipe. You can’t go wrong with the gift of chocolate!
Other Zucchini Recipes
Summertime produce really is the best, and fresh zucchini are plentiful right now. It’s time to make everything zucchini!
Kitchen Tools Used: (affiliate links)
Chocolate Banana Zucchini Bread
- 1 medium banana (over-ripe) – mashed
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar – packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil – or use melted butter
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 1.25 pound loaf pan with baking spray. (If you use a different sized pan, you may need to adjust baking time.)
- Shred enough to get one cup of zucchini. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the over-ripe banana. Use a hand mixer or a fork to mash.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients – the egg, vanilla, both sugars, and canola oil – and mix well.
- Then add the dry ingredients – the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
- Then gently fold in the shredded zucchini and the dark chocolate chips. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake zucchini bread for 35 – 37 minutes, or until nearly done in the center. We like ours a little gooey in the center, but you decide. It's best to test the center with a toothpick.