Classic Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing is THE perfect side to go with a big juicy steak or any entree for that matter. It’s crisp and simple, and the homemade dressing brings all the flavors together. Make this one for date night in!
“Oh my goodness! This was DELISH!!! We love the wedge salads at Saltgrass Steak House, but this one was even better! Loved the dressing!”
– Featured Review from Cathy
Best Wedge Salad
I’ve honestly made this salad three times in the last month. Since Mike and I are empty nesters, this recipe is perfect because it’s good for two nights. I’ve made it to pair with steaks, chicken, soup, and just plain old roasted veggies (as in veggies and salad night).
Why we love this recipe:
- It’s simple. This is a simple side dish to make. The homemade dressing only takes 10 minutes or so to make as well!
- You can prep ahead. You can prep all the ingredients ahead of time and store separately in the refrigerator. I recommend assembling the salads at mealtime.
- This salad is perfect for entertaining. This is a “pretty” salad for entertaining and delicious too.
- It can be a main course. Double up the ingredients and enjoy this salad for dinner instead of a side dish. Trust me, it works!
Wedge Salad Ingredients:
Let’s talk about the classic ingredients for wedge salad.
- Iceberg Lettuce – Remove the outer leaves, give it a quick wash, and slice it into wedges.
- Bacon – My favorite way to cook bacon is to bake it in the oven until crisp. UNLESS I have the microwave ready bacon which is super easy to make in just a few minutes.
- Hardboiled Eggs – Love to make eggs in the Instant Pot now.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Slice them in half.
- Green Onions – Chop them up.
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
Blue Cheese Salad Ingredients:
This dressing is definitely the star of the show!
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Sour Cream
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Garlic Powder, S&P
When mixing the dressing, mash some of those blue cheese crumbles into the other ingredients.
How to make Classic Wedge Salad:
Prep toppings. Cook the bacon and the eggs. Chop the tomatoes and green onions.
Prep lettuce. Remove the core and outer lettuce leaf of the head of iceberg. Rinse quickly in cold water and then dry in a clean dish towel. Chop the lettuce into four equal parts.
If the head of lettuce is super small, you may need two heads for the salad recipe.
Make dressing. Combine the dressing ingredients – the blue cheese, mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, and seasonings (garlic powder, salt, and pepper). Stir well.
Assemble salads. Add the toppings to the lettuce wedges.
Top with dressing. Use a spoon to add the dressing to the top of the wedge salads.
Yes, you should always wash any kind of lettuce unless it’s pre-packaged and noted that it’s pre-washed. Simple remove the core and the outer lettuce leaf, rinse in cold water, and then dry using a clean dish towel.
The best way to crisp lettuce is to soak it briefly in ice water.
Remove the core and the other leaf. Then slice it in half and then in half again.
Traditional toppings include bacon, blue cheese crumbles, and blue cheese dressing. However, many add other toppings include tomatoes, eggs, onions, etc.
The primary difference between blue cheese and ranch dressing is that there is added blue cheese crumbles in blue cheese dressing.
What to pair with Classic Wedge Salad:
This wedge salad goes great with so many different main courses. Try one of these below!
- The Ultimate Lasagna Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef Au Jus Sandwiches
- Smoked Pork Butt Recipe
- White Sauce Pizza Recipe
The dressing stays fresh for up to three days in the refrigerator.
Make this salad next: Spinach Salad with Avocado and Goat Cheese
Classic Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
For the salad:
- 1 head iceberg lettuce – rinsed and cut into fourths
- 4-6 slices bacon – cooked and chopped
- 2 large eggs – hard-boiled
- 1 bunch green onions – diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes – chopped
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles – or more
For the blue cheese dressing:
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- Mix the dressing ingredients together – blue cheese crumbles, mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, and seasonings. Mix well and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Slice the head of iceberg in half. Then slice in half again and arrange in bowls.
- Prep toppings – chop veggies, cook the bacon and hard boil the eggs.
- Add the toppings to the lettuce – the tomatoes, onions, crumbled bacon, chopped eggs, and blue cheese crumbles.
- Top the salads with the prepared blue cheese dressing.
- This salad is best served fresh the first day.
- Classic Wedge Salad pairs well with so many things. See blog post for some ideas.