Classic Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing is THE perfect side to go with a big juicy steak or any entree for that matter. It’s crisp and simple, and the homemade dressing brings all the flavors together. Make this one for date night in!
I’ve seriously made this salad about six times in the last month. Since Mike and I are (sort of) empty nesters, this recipe is perfect because it’s good for two nights. I’ve made it to pair with steaks, chicken, soup, and just plain old roasted veggies (as in veggies and salad night).
If you are wondering what “sort of” empty nesters means, Josh just moved home after graduating from Texas Tech (Wreck em!) in December. He just started his job, and will be living at home for awhile to save up some money. This in turn means that SueBee Homemaker needs to bump up the food volume here big time. Because Josh is the guy that orders meals at restaurants based on the quantity of food on a plate. I’m 100% serious. 😀
CLASSIC WEDGE SALAD INGREDIENTS:
Let’s talk about the classic ingredients for wedge salad.
- Iceberg Lettuce – Remove the outer leaves, give it a quick wash, and slice it into wedges.
- Bacon – My favorite way to cook bacon is to bake it in the oven until crisp.
- Hardboiled Eggs – Love to make eggs in the Instant Pot now.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Slice them in half.
- Green Onions – Chop them up.
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
And…the BLUE CHEESE DRESSING:
This dressing is definitely the star of the show!
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- Garlic Powder, S&P
When mixing the dressing, mash some of those blue cheese crumbles into the other ingredients.
WHAT TO MAKE WITH THIS CLASSIC WEDGE SALAD:
- Classic Lasagna Roll Ups
- Slow Cooker Beef Au Jus Sandwiches
- Creamy Jalapeño Stuffed Chicken
- Skillet Blackened Tilapia
- Slow Baked Pulled Pork
Really, it’s good with practically anything. Soup and salad is a go-to for me, OR just double the salad and call it dinner.
The dressing stays fresh in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Make this salad next: Spinach Salad with Avocado and Goat Cheese
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce - rinsed and cut into fourths
- 6 slices bacon - cooked and chopped
- 2 large eggs - hard-boiled
- 1 bunch green onions - diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes - chopped
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup light mayonaise
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
For the salad, arrange the bacon, eggs, onions, tomatoes, and blue cheese crumbles on top of the wedge pieces.
For the dressing, mix all ingredients together. Mash some of the blue cheese crumbles into the liquid, and mix well.
Store salad ingredients in the refrigerator until serving.
- The dressing stays fresh in your refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- Classic Wedge Salad pairs well with so many things. See blog post for some ideas.