Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon cooked on an outdoor grill is one of the tastiest ways to enjoy this omega-3 rich fish. The spice rub is an easy combo of salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and paprika, and pairs perfectly with the smoky flavor from the cedar planks!
We are salmon lovers, and since it is on the healthy list, I try to make it at least every other week. During our kitchen remodel, Mike and I ate it EVERY week, because the grill was one of our main cooking resources (along with the instant pot that I used in the hall bath). 😀
I was first introduced to Cedar Grilling Planks while visiting my sister and fam in Colorado. They made the BEST cedar plank salmon for our large extended family during one of our many trips to visit them. Jackie and Craig really know how to entertain, (the beautiful mountains also help!) and they prove that easy is usually best. THIS recipe is exactly that…easy.
How to prepare the cedar grilling planks:
I buy my cedar grilling planks on Amazon, and this one comes as a 12-pack. It’s very important to prepare the planks.
- Several hours before meal time, take out the amount of planks needed for the amount of salmon you are cooking. I pretty much always use two of them for our family.
- Fill your sink, or a bucket, with cold water. Place the planks inside, making sure they are fully immersed in water. Make sure they are not sticking together. You may have to use some sort of a weight (like a jar or other kitchen item) to keep them from floating to the top.
- Let them soak in water for at least 3-4 hours before using.
- Pat them dry when ready to use on your grill.
- Brush the smooth side with oil before placing the salmon on top.
We recently had a minor emergency situation while making cedar plank salmon. I didn’t listen to my own instructions when soaking the planks, and they started on FIRE while cooking on our BGE. Mike was there for the rescue operation, and was able to get the fire out before the salmon was ruined. WHEW. My guy really is a super hero!
Moral of the story. Make sure you soak the planks for AT LEAST 3-4 hours, and don’t let them stick together during that time. Lesson learned!
Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon Ingredients:
The spice rub is just a simple mixture of five ingredients.
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- garlic powder
Plus about two pounds of salmon (preferably with skin on). Plus olive oil, for coating the salmon.
How to make Cedar Plank Salmon:
- Soak the planks. At least four hours before grilling salmon, soak the cedar planks in cold water, making sure that they are fully submerged. Soak the planks for at least 3-4 hours.
- Prepare grill. Preheat outdoor grill to 450 – 500 degrees. We also like to include some wood chips in our BGE.
- Prepare planks. After the allotted time, remove planks from the water, and pat dry. Brush a little olive oil over the smooth side of the planks, and place on a baking sheet to take outside.
- Prep the salmon. Place salmon on the planks in whatever direction works best, or cut your salmon to fit. Brush the salmon with a thin layer of olive oil.
- Add spices. Mix spice rub together in a small bowl. Using your fingers, sprinkle the rub over the top of the salmon.
- Grill the salmon. When your grill has reached the correct temperature, place cedar planks on the grates and close lid. Check the salmon for doneness after about 10-12 minutes. When it flakes easily with a fork, it’s done. You may need additional time depending on the thickness of your salmon and/or the heat of your grill.
- Serve. Remove planks from your grill, and serve.
Perfect side dishes and salads to prepare with Cedar Plank Salmon:
- Easy Mustard Roasted Potatoes – A super 3-ingredient (plus salt and pepper) potato recipe that is so tasty.
- Roasted Brussels sprouts with Bacon – One of my favs, and goes perfectly with salmon.
- Shaved Cauliflower Salad with Lemon Dressing – I forget about this one, and it’s time to make it again. So fresh!
- Kale and Quinoa Salad – This is a newer one on the blog, and I love the combo of flavors.
- and so many more on the blog!
Make this salmon recipe next: Baked Asian Salmon in Foil
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon
- 2 pounds salmon – skin on, preferred
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- you will need 2 cedar planks
- Soak the cedar planks in cold water for several hours (or at least 3-4 hours) prior to using. Make sure they are fully submersed, and not sticking together.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to about 450-500 degrees. Mix up the seasoning, by combining the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Dry off the cedar planks, and place on baking sheet, with SMOOTH side up. Brush a little bit of olive oil on the planks, lay salmon on top, and then brush some more olive oil on the salmon.
- Liberally sprinkle the seasoning mix on top of the salmon.
- Place cedar planks on a hot grill. Close lid, and check salmon after 10 minutes. Salmon should flake easily, using a fork. If it’s not done, close lid, and check about every two minutes. The time to cook will vary based on your grill, and the thickness of the salmon.
- Make sure you buy your Cedar Grilling Planks for this recipe.