Herb Buttery Smashed Potatoes is the simplest side dish, but so tasty. The combination of herbs and seasonings, and a butter mix, on simple baby potatoes – is drool worthy!
We eat loads of potatoes at our house. Red, yellow, russet, and sweet. If there is a potato in the house, it’s NOT gonna go to waste, that’s for sure. Maybe it has something to do with raising boys and having a husband that carb loads before big runs. Or maybe it’s because we just simply love them.
I say all of the above.
THESE potatoes? Well well well. They are so many things.
- salty (not too much tho)
- herb coated
These babies are smashed, not mashed. No mixer required. No violent whipping or mixing. Just smashing. I use two forks. But you could use whatever you like, even your fist (although I don’t recommend it). 😀
Ingredients needed for this simple side dish:
Let’s go shopping. Here’s what you’ll need at the grocery store to make these amazing little things.
- baby red and yellow potatoes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- dried thyme
- dried rosemary
How do you make Herb Buttery Smashed Potatoes?
- Wash potatoes, and place in stock pot. Cover them with water and a good amount of salt.
- Boil potatoes until fork tender. Cool slightly.
- Arrange potatoes on baking sheet and smash them with a fork (or a potato masher), making sure that the flesh is exposed.
- Brush potatoes with butter/olive oil mixture.
- Sprinkle the herb mixture evenly over the smashed potatoes.
- Bake, and then broil at the end to get them nice and browned.
I’ve also got a few things in mind for a main course. You could just grill up steaks, burgers, or chicken. Or you could grab one of the following recipes.
I suggest making a double batch if you are feeding a large group.
Other ways I share my potato love:
- Make Ahead Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Mustard Roasted Potatoes
- Baked Hasselback Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
Make these potatoes next: Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Herb Buttery Smashed Potatoes
- 1.5 pounds baby red or yellow potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine butter and olive oil in small dish. Set aside. Combine the seasoning mixture - the salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Set aside.
- Wash potatoes. Place them in a medium stock pot, and cover with water and salt. Heat to boiling, and then reduce heat to medium. Cook until fork tender, and strain water off of them.
- After they cool for just a few minutes, lay them on a baking sheet prepared with parchment paper. Use a fork to smash, so that the potatoes flesh is showing.
- Brush with melted butter and olive oil mixture. Then sprinkle with seasoning mixture.
- Bake in oven for about 15 minutes. Then turn heat up to broil for just a few minutes, or until they are nice and golden brown.
- Broiling at the end is optional, but will ensure nice browning on top.
- Double this batch for a large group. You will need two baking sheets.