Herb Buttery Smashed Potatoes is the simplest side dish, but so tasty. The combination of herbs and seasonings, and a butter mix, on simple baby potatoes – is drool worthy!
We eat loads of potatoes at our house. Red, yellow, russet, and sweet. If there is a potato in the house, it’s NOT gonna go to waste, that’s for sure. Maybe it has something to do with raising boys and having a husband that carb loads before big runs. Or maybe it’s because we just simply love them.
I say all of the above.
THESE potatoes? Well well well. They are so many things.
- salty (not too much tho)
- herb coated
These babies are smashed, not mashed. No mixer required. No violent whipping or mixing. Just smashing. I use two forks. But you could use whatever you like, even your fist (although I don’t recommend it). 😀
Ingredients needed for this simple side dish:
Let’s go shopping. Here’s what you’ll need at the grocery store to make these amazing little things.
- baby red and yellow potatoes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- dried thyme
- dried rosemary
How do you make Herb Buttery Smashed Potatoes?
- Wash potatoes, and place in stock pot. Cover them with water and a good amount of salt.
- Boil potatoes until fork tender. Cool slightly.
- Arrange potatoes on baking sheet and smash them with a fork (or a potato masher), making sure that the flesh is exposed.
- Brush potatoes with butter/olive oil mixture.
- Sprinkle the herb mixture evenly over the smashed potatoes.
- Bake, and then broil at the end to get them nice and browned.
I’ve also got a few things in mind for a main course. You could just grill up steaks, burgers, or chicken. Or you could grab one of the following recipes.
I suggest making a double batch if you are feeding a large group.
Other ways I share my potato love:
- Make Ahead Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Mustard Roasted Potatoes
- Baked Hasselback Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
Make these potatoes next: Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Herb Buttery Smashed Potatoes
Herb Buttery Smashed Potatoes is the simplest side dish, but so dang tasty. The combination of herbs and seasonings on simple red potatoes is drool worthy!
- 1.5 pounds baby red or yellow potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine butter and olive oil in small dish. Set aside. Combine the seasoning mixture - the salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Set aside.
Wash potatoes. Place them in a medium stock pot, and cover with water and salt. Heat to boiling, and then reduce heat to medium. Cook until fork tender, and strain water off of them.
After they cool for just a few minutes, lay them on a baking sheet prepared with parchment paper. Use a fork to smash, so that the potatoes flesh is showing.
Brush with melted butter and olive oil mixture. Then sprinkle with seasoning mixture.
Bake in oven for about 15 minutes. Then turn heat up to broil for just a few minutes, or until they are nice and golden brown.
- Broiling at the end is optional, but will ensure nice browning on top.
- Double this batch for a large group. You will need two baking sheets.