Let me introduce to you the best Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread recipe! This super simple recipe comes together in minutes, and pairs well with soups, chili, and all the winter casseroles. Try it today!
Can I get an AMEN for Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread? 🙂
While I’ve been on the Tex-Mex bandwagon for years now, I’m a Midwestern girl at heart. I still love Miracle Whip in my potato salad, brown sugar in my baked beans, and sugar in my cornbread. Believe me, I’ve tried several methods of cutting the sweet from certain foods. In my observations, the South uses jalapeños in EVERYTHING (and now I do too, except for this cornbread!) and the North uses sugar in EVERYTHING. Maybe it’s slowly changing, but the difference is real. Like really REAL.
I’ve been working on this cornbread for awhile now. I’ve tried it with jalapeños and cheddar, with bacon and cheddar, with less sugar, with honey replacing the sugar, and then THIS. Just sugar and the other standard ingredients. I just could NOT develop a taste for the others. It has to be slightly sweet. And plain. With NO cheddar, jalapeños, or bacon.
The ingredient list for Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread is pretty simple.
- melted butter
- baking powder
- corn meal
Just use two bowls and a wire whisk. You can prepare it in 10 minutes.
How to make Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread:
- Prep. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a square 8×8 dish with baking spray.
- Mix Dry Ingredients. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients. In another bowl, combine the melted (and slightly cooled) butter and sugar, and mix well. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla, and mix again.
- Combine. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and mix gently until just combined. Don’t over-mix.
- Bake. Pour the cornbread batter into the prepared dish, and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until done in the center and slightly browned on top.
- Serve. Cut the cornbread into nine equal pieces and serve with a dollop of butter and a drizzle of syrup, if desired.
Have you tried syrup on your cornbread? If not, you should totally try it. When we were kids, my dad always added the dark Karo Syrup to his, and so he rubbed off on the rest of us. Thanks Dad! If you’re not a syrup fan, just add a dollop of butter, and watch it melt. SO good.
What to serve with Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread:
- Shredded Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Hearty Chicken Chili
- Easy Slow Cooker Chili
- Mexican Chicken and Sweet Potato Casserole
Make this quick bread recipe next: Honey Cinnamon Zucchini Bread
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine melted butter and sugar and mix well. Add eggs and quickly whip, and then add buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Toss wet and dry ingredients together, and mix well.
- Pour into sprayed 8x8 baking dish. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until done in the center and golden brown on top.
- Cut into nine pieces and serve with a dollop of butter (and syrup - optional).