My Chicken Tortilla Soup combines shredded chicken, corn and beans, with a delicious broth that incorporates homemade enchilada sauce and chicken broth. Adjust the spices to your liking, and add all the toppings, including cilantro, jalapeño, avocado, and tortilla chips!
As ya’ll have probably noticed, I love my soups, and this Chicken Tortilla Soup is the bomb. It’s thick and flavorful, and I’ll explain how you can adjust the spices to get to your optimal spice level. In the past, I’ve gone a bit overboard on everything jalapeño, so I’m revamping some of my recipes so that you can make the recipe your own. I want YOU to love these recipes like I do.
Tex-Mex Recipes are my favorites, and I have a variety for you to choose from in my Tex-Mex category page. I always keep my pantry stocked with corn, beans, sauces, tortillas, long-grain rice, avocados, garlic, and onions, and then I make sure I pick up the refrigerator items I need each week. Fresh ingredients make all the difference, so cilantro and jalapeños are on my weekly list.
Ingredients needed for Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Fresh Chicken Breasts – To make this soup nice and thick, I use about 3 pounds of chicken breasts.
- Corn and Beans – One bag of frozen corn and one can of beans is just right.
- Onion and Garlic – Diced onion and garlic gives the soup the best flavor. You can also include more diced jalapeño for additional spice.
- Homemade Enchilada Sauce – This is the secret ingredient that makes tortilla soup so tasty. You can store-bought cans, but fresh is best!
- Toppings – Jalapeno, cilantro, avocado, tortilla chips, etc.
Pro-Tip: Make the enchilada sauce the day before and store in your refrigerator. Then this soup cooks in well under an hour!
How to shred chicken easily:
After a life-time of shredding chicken with two forks, I decided to jump on the band-wagon and try the mixer method. Just simply place the warm chicken breasts in a standing mixer, and using the paddle attachment, mix until the chicken falls apart. It took just a couple of minutes, and I’ll never go back to the fork method!
How to make Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Make the enchilada sauce. Follow my homemade sauce instructions. Store in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the soup. I highly recommend making the sauce a day or so in advance.
- Cook the onion and garlic. Sauté the onion in olive oil until soft, and then add garlic for about 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the enchilada sauce and chicken broth. Turn up the heat, and bring to a slow boil.
- Cook the chicken. Slice each chicken breast into about thirds, and sprinkle with some kosher salt. Place in pot, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until done. Remove the chicken to cool slightly.
- Add the corn and beans. Pour the frozen corn and the rinsed and drained black beans to the pot. Continue to simmer.
- Shred the chicken. Place chicken in a bowl of a standing mixer. Using a paddle attachment, mix until the chicken is fully shredded. Add the chicken back to the pot, and continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Check seasonings. Taste the soup, and adjust it with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
Some of my other favorite soup recipes:
Soup Season is the BEST season! Enjoy! 😀
Make this soup next: Hearty Chicken Chili
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
For the soup:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic – diced
- kosher salt and pepper – to taste
- 5 cups homemade enchilada sauce – homemade recipe on my site (or store-bought)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2.5 pounds chicken breasts – cut into thirds
- 14 oz frozen corn
- 15 oz. black beans – rinsed and drained
- fresh cilantro, jalapeno, tortilla chips, avocado slices – for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Pour homemade enchilada sauce and chicken broth into pot, and bring to a boil. Add chicken breasts and reduce heat to simmer. After chicken is done (about 15 minutes), remove and shred. Using a standing mixer makes the shredding super easy!
- Add the frozen corn and black beans to soup mixture. Add shredded chicken back to saucepan, and simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Stir and check seasonings.
- Serve with toppings. Enjoy!
- Make the homemade enchilada sauce in advance, and store in your refrigerator.
- You can also freeze the enchilada sauce.
- The soup may also be frozen up to three months.