Pesto Mozzarella Pizza combines the BEST homemade crust along with pesto sauce, roma tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese. This meatless pizza recipe is a favorite combo at our home!
Homemade pizza means so many things to me.
I’ve been making homemade pizza forever. We grew up making it as kids, and it was our Saturday night meal to go with “Donnie and Marie”. Yea, I’m old.
The difference between then and now, is 1) we didn’t make homemade crust back in the day, 2) we loaded the pizza with raw ground beef (ewww) so the pizza was greasy after it cooked, 3) we knew nothing about the fantastic sauce that is PESTO, 4) we used about 5 pounds of cheese that we sliced (shredded cheese wasn’t a thing), and 5) we were young and could eat unlimited slices without worrying about our waist lines.
I’m having visions of ALL of that right now!
THIS pizza combo is one of our favs.
- homemade pizza dough – the BEST
- homemade pesto sauce – ummm, also the best 🙂
- Roma tomatoes – sliced thin
- shredded mozzarella cheese (plus some shaved parmesan)
You will need a cast iron skillet for this recipe, and I use mine all the time for so many things.
Be sure to read the tips in my homemade pizza dough recipe, including how to freeze individual pizza dough rounds for any day of the week. It’s pretty nice to be able to cook only one pizza at a time, especially now that we’re “almost empty nesters”.
Hand model below is my high school senior, who isn’t usually home (which is why we’re 98% empty nesters), but IS around when I make Skillet Pesto Tomato Pizza! Haha. 🙂
Kitchen Tools used for this recipe: (Affiliate Links)
Make this pizza recipe next: Classic Taco Pizza
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Pesto Mozzarella Pizza
- For the dough, use 1/3 recipe of my homemade recipe for one skillet pizza. I make my dough ahead of time, and wrap dough sections separately. Remove dough the night before you need it, and place it in the refrigerator. About three hours before you bake the pizza, place dough in greased bowl and cover with a cloth. Read more in the blog post.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease the skillet, and spread dough in the pan, pushing it to all sides of the skillet.
- Top the dough with pesto sauce, then sliced tomatoes, and top it with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until golden on top. Slice and serve immediately.