Carrot Ginger Soup is a simple, healthy soup combining roasted carrots and onions with ginger, garlic, spices, and a tasty broth. Using a blender guarantees the smoothest texture and makes the perfect cozy day meal!
Roasted Carrot Soup
This recipe idea came after a food blogging conference back in 2019 – right before the world shut down. Little did we know how much we’d be making food at home.
When we eat out, I almost always come home with recipe ideas. Occasionally, I’ll ask the wait staff to explain the “secrets” of the dish I like enough to recreate. I’m hoping it’s a compliment instead of a nuisance!
Why This Carrot Ginger Soup Recipe Works:
- SIMPLE INGREDIENTS – This healthy carrot ginger soup has minimal ingredients and makes the most delicious soup.
- HEALTHY – We love the health benefits of the delicious veggies in this carrot soup recipe. Carrots are a particularly good source of beta carotene, fiber, vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants.
- FULL OF FLAVOR – The combo of sweet carrots and spicy ginger makes the best carrot soup. Perfect for cold days or warm days too.
Ingredients needed for Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup:
I love how simple it is to make a great carrot soup. My hubby gave me rave reviews! 😀
- Carrots – You’ll need a hefty two-pound bag of fresh carrots. If you use organic, it’s not required to peel them.
- Onion – Slice these thin, and roast them with the carrots.
- Olive Oil, Kosher Salt, and Black Pepper – The usual three ingredients I use to roast almost every vegetable.
- Broth – Use lower-sodium chicken broth or chicken stock.
- Seasonings – I used thyme, basil, and a little bit of red pepper flakes.
- Garlic and Ginger – You’ll need to mince enough fresh garlic and fresh ginger to equal approximately two tablespoons of each.
- Heavy Cream – This is the ingredient used to make the soup extra creamy.
How to make Roasted Carrot Soup:
Roast Carrots. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place sliced carrots and onions on the baking sheets, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast until fork tender, approximately 20-25 minutes. Remove pans from the oven, and let the veggies cool slightly.
QUICK TIP: Use a vegetable peeler to peel the carrots but if they’re organic, there is no need to peel them.
Add veggies to a blender. To a large blender, add the slightly cooled carrots and onions.
Sauté garlic and ginger. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil, and the garlic and ginger. Sauté for about one minute, and then add this to the blender. Add seasonings (onion powder, dried thyme, salt, and pepper) to the blender as well.
Blend. Add about two cups of chicken broth to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
NOTE: I recommend using a blender for this creamy carrot soup but you could use an immersion blender or food processor instead. The blender will make the soup creamier.
Cook the mixture on the stovetop. Pour the carrot mixture back into the saucepan, and then add the remaining broth. Stir well, and cook for a few minutes. Then add heavy cream and cook until heated and very smooth.
What to serve with Roasted Carrot Soup:
Storing & Freezing Carrot Soup:
- To store, pour soup into an airtight container or soup bowls. This soup stays fresh for up to four days in the refrigerator.
- To freeze, pour soup into a freezer bag, remove as much air as possible, seal it, and lay it flat in the freezer. You can also use a freezer-safe container. For best results, use soup by three months.
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 2 pounds carrots – peeled and chopped into strips
- 1 medium onion – sliced thin
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 3 ½ cups lower sodium chicken broth – divided
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons fresh garlic – minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger – minced
- ½ cup heavy cream – plus more to serve
- extra black pepper – to serve
- Place sliced carrots and onions on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast in a 400-degree F oven until tender, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Let the veggies cool slightly, and then add to a large blender. Add about two cups of chicken broth and seasonings (onion powder, dried thyme, salt, and pepper).
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil, and then the minced garlic and ginger. Saute for about a minute or until fragrant, and then add to the blender with the roasted veggies. Run the blender until smooth.
- Pour the carrot mixture back into the saucepan, and add the remaining chicken broth. Stir well, and then add heavy cream. Cook on medium heat until heated through and smooth. Stir frequently to avoid spattering.
- Serve with a twist of freshly ground black pepper and a swirl of cream.
- To store, pour soup in airtight container or even soup bowls. This soup stays fresh for up to four days in the refrigerator.
- To freeze, pour soup in freezer bag, remove as much as air as possible, seal, and lay flat in the freezer. For best results, use by three months.