Healthy Tuna Patties
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share a commission.
Learn how to make Healthy Tuna Patties in less than 30 minutes. These are low in calories and full of taste, and you’ll be making them again and again. Top the patties with a light Sriracha dip and serve with a healthy side of greens for the best dinner EVER!
Any tuna fans out there? Could I see a show of hands?
I’ve been a fan of tuna my entire life. Tuna melts were one of the very first things I made for myself when I was a kid. It looked like this…a can of tuna, a BIG dollop of Miracle Whip (yes, we didn’t do mayo back then), topped with thick slices of Velveeta cheese, all on some sliced bread and melted in the oven. Yes, I know. SCARY! But, I loved it. 😀
I’m definitely still a fan of tuna melts. But now I mix the tuna up with all the things, plop it on English muffins, and top it with cheddar or Monterey Jack. This version is SO much better than the old one.
The point I’m making is that you can make tuna taste unbelievably great with experimentation and some good quality ingredients. These Healthy Tuna Patties are definitely one of the recipes I turn to when I’m trying to eat lean but still want some great taste. They are also quick and easy, another important thing to consider in life today.
Ingredients needed for Healthy Tuna Patties:
- Canned Tuna – I prefer Albacore Tuna (In Water). Make sure you use a colander to strain the liquid off the tuna before using.
- Green Onions – You could use any onion you want, but green onions are my favorite in these patties.
- Egg – The egg is what helps hold everything together.
- Greek Yogurt – Instead of mayo, you can use plain Greek yogurt for an extra healthy component.
- Breadcrumbs – Use Panko breadcrumbs to help soak up some of the liquid, and make the patties stay together.
- Seasonings – Garlic powder, red pepper flakes, dill seed, salt and pepper.
- Olive Oil – Used for lightly frying in a cast iron skillet.
To make the Sriracha dip, you’ll need some sriracha sauce and Greek yogurt.
Pro-Tip: Add in some extra pizazz by including diced jalapeño and cilantro!
How to make Healthy Tuna Patties:
You can make these tuna patties in less than 30 minutes. A perfect weeknight dinner!
- Combine. In a medium bowl, combine the tuna, onions, egg, yogurt, breadcrumbs, and the spices (garlic powder, red pepper flakes, dill seed, salt, and pepper). Mix well.
- Form patties. Using your hands, separate the tuna mixture into six even sections. Form each section into a patty, and pat down. Place patties on a plate.
- Cook tuna patties. Heat a cast iron skillet to medium-high heat, and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Pan fry three patties at a time, flipping after a few minutes. Repeat for remaining patties.
- Make Sriracha mayo. Combine about 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt with about one tablespoon of Sriracha. Mix well.
- Serve. Top each tuna patty with a dollop of Sriracha dip.
Can tuna patties be made in advance?
You can definitely make the patties in advance, and simply store them in the refrigerator until ready to cook. I believe the flavors will even be better.
Can tuna patties be reheated?
Once the tuna patties are cooked, you can either heat them up in the microwave, or crisp them up in a cast iron skillet using some olive oil. Either way is fine!
Which canned tuna is best to use for tuna patties?
Use whatever tuna you enjoy eating or is in your budget. I prefer the white Albacore tuna that is canned in water. Other options are to use wild caught tuna or smaller species of tuna (which are also lower in mercury).
What to serve with Healthy Tuna Patties:
- Crunchy Asian Cabbage Salad – My current trending recipe of the summer!
- Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad – Oh, that lemon dressing is where it’s at. So light.
- Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon – If you’re a Brussels sprouts lover like me, you’re gonna love this one.
- Roasted Asparagus with Prosciutto and Parmesan – This is easy, classic, and delish.
Make this tuna recipe next: Classic Tuna Melts
Healthy Tuna Patties
- 18 oz. canned Albacore tuna (undrained weight is 24 oz.) – drained of liquid
- 1/3 cup green onions – chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- sriracha yogurt dip – to serve
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the strained tuna, chopped green onions, egg, yogurt, breadcrumbs, and spices (garlic powder, red pepper flakes, dill seed, salt and pepper). Mix well. Form into six patties.
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, and pan fry three of the patties until golden brown on both sides. Repeat with remaining patties.
- Serve with a dollop of sriracha dip.
- To make sriracha yogurt dip, combine some Greek yogurt with sriracha in a small bowl, according to taste. I usually do 1/2 cup of yogurt with about 1 Tablespoon of sriracha.
Is the 157 calories for 1 tuna pattie?
Yes it is.
Healthy and delicious!! Another cool way to eat my tuna!!
You can’t have enough ideas to make tuna! Our childhood love. 🙂