Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Dressing combine tender, spiced shrimp with crunchy slaw and a creamy dressing. This one should be on repeat all summer long!
I love an easy weeknight (or anytime) meal. These shrimp tacos cook up crazy fast, especially if you do some prep in advance. Make the simple slaw recipe plus the avocado dressing a couple of hours before mealtime, and have the shrimp marinating in the dry seasoning rub. Then it’s just a 10 minute deal, which is key to getting food on the table quickly.
The taste and texture of these tacos are perfect. They’re 1) a little bit spicy, 2) crunchy, 3) creamy, and 4) a delicious combination of so many Tex-Mex ingredients.
Ingredients needed for Grilled Shrimp Tacos:
- Shrimp – I used about 1 1/2 pounds of large shrimp. I recommend you getting the peeled and deveined shrimp, because then all you need to do is remove the tail.
- Seasonings – Ground cumin, onion powder, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Avocado Oil – This oil has a high smoke point, but you could use canola as well.
- Tortillas – We often use a lower carb tortilla, but whatever you like best works too.
Ingredients needed for the slaw:
- Cabbage – I used some packaged slaw and chopped it finer. You could also buy a head of cabbage and chop it all yourself.
- Onion – This calls for red onion, but green is fine too.
- Jalapeño – I used 1/2 of a jalapeño and removed the seeds before dicing. You could also keep a few seeds for some kick.
- Cilantro – Just a small amount adds a lot of flavor!
- Lime – You’ll need to freshly squeeze the lime. So easy.
Ingredients needed for Cream Avocado Dressing:
- Avocado – Make sure your avocado is perfectly ripe. I like to buy several and keep them in my refrigerator to keep them from getting mushy and brown.
- Yogurt – I use plain Greek yogurt, but you could also sub in sour cream.
- Cilantro – A small handful will do.
- Jalapeño – Use the other half of the jalapeño from the slaw!
- Lime – Another lime, freshly squeezed.
- Olive Oil – Just a couple of tablespoons helps with the creaminess.
- Water – Some cold water is needed to thin out the dressing. You may need to play with the amount.
- Seasonings – Ground cumin, garlic powder, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
How to make Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Dresing
- Prep the shrimp. I recommend using raw, peeled, and deveined shrimp. Remove the tails and pat dry. Mix up the seasoning mix and sprinkle it all over the shrimp. Set aside until grilling.
- Make the slaw. Combine the slaw ingredients – the cabbage, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro, and fresh lime juice.
- Mix up the dressing. In a food processor, combine the avocado dressing ingredients – the avocado, Greek yogurt, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, olive oil, cold water, and seasonings. Pulse until creamy.
- Grill shrimp. In a cast iron skillet, heat over medium high heat and add some avocado oil. Add about half of the shrimp, and cook on both sides, approximately 2 minutes per side. (When the shrimp turn pink, instead of gray, they’re done!) Remove and cook the remaining shrimp.
- Serve. To serve, warm tortillas. Add the grilled shrimp, slaw, and avocado dressing to tortillas, and enjoy.
Other Tex-Mex dishes you should try next:
- Healthy Taco Salad Recipe – A healthy salad that has SO much flavor.
- Cheesy Turkey Taco Skillet – This one includes lots of veggies and is best served over rice.
- Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas – You can’t go wrong with enchiladas!
Kitchen Tools used for this recipe: (Affiliate Links)
Make this Tex-Mex recipe next: Steak Quesadilla Recipe
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Dressing
For the shrimp:
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp – raw, deveined, with tails removed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
For the slaw:
- 3 cups cabbage – finely shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion – diced
- 1/2 large jalapeño – diced without seeds
- 2 Tablespoon cilantro
- 1 large lime – freshly squeezed
Creamy Avocado Dressing:
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1/2 large jalapeño
- 1 large lime – freshly squeezed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons cold water – or more to thin
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
Other taco ingredients:
- 8 small flour tortillas
- cotija cheese, extra cilantro, jalapeño – optional
- Use peeled and deveined shrimp. Remove the tails and pat dry. Spread the seasoning mix over the shrimp and set aside.
- Mix up the slaw ingredients by combining the cabbage, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro, and fresh lime juice.
- Add the avocado dressing ingredients to a food processor – the avocado, Greek yogurt, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, olive oil, cold water, and the seasonings. Pulse until creamy.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat, and add a coating of avocado oil. Add about half the shrimp and cook until done, approximately two minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- Serve tacos, by warming the tortillas and adding the grilled shrimp, the slaw, and the avocado dressing.
- You can prep the slaw and avocado dressing a couple of hours in advance. I also recommend adding spices to shrimp ahead of time. Then this becomes a very quick meal to get on the table!
- We like to use a lower carb tortilla, but use whatever you prefer.
- The shrimp are done when they go from gray to pink. Only a couple of minutes per side!