Shrimp Fried Rice is the perfect weeknight meal that can be thrown together in 30 -40 minutes! Make your rice the day before, and then spend some time cooking with your family, using the freshest of ingredients. Who needs take-out anyway?
Stir Fry was my go-to meal when we were first married. I stumbled upon a good recipe, tried it, and the rest is history. I made that same recipe again and again. And again.
Now I love trying new recipes, especially when I can up the health factor in foods that aren’t always so good for you. Take-out Chinese food is a great example of this. We love it, but it doesn’t love us. THIS recipe? I think it loves us too. 😀
Most of the ingredients for my Shrimp Fried Rice are pictured below.
Tips for prepping for this recipe.
- Remember to cook your rice the day BEFORE. This takes a little bit of planning but it is REALLY important!
- Buy raw shrimp, and peel and devein them. If they are frozen, be sure to have them thawed and ready to go.
- The veggies consist of frozen corn, frozen peas, frozen edamame, and fresh shredded carrots. Let the frozen veggies thaw out before you cook.
The other VERY important ingredients are the Asian sauces, oils, and spices. This is what gives this quick dish all the flavor. DON’T skip them!
- sesame oil
- chili paste
- oyster sauce
- soy sauce
- red pepper flakes
You can use as much or as little of the above ingredients as you want. I always tend to go heavy with the spice level, so even though this recipe calls for two teaspoons of chili paste, I used three. 🙂
If you love Chinese take-out, you will appreciate the fact that this recipe uses fresh ingredients and is relatively healthy. I rarely eat Chinese food anymore because of the huge calorie burden, but this one isn’t fried or laden with too much oil.
Now if I can just convince my sons to skip their favorite take-out spot, and help me in the kitchen with this delicious dish. 🙂
Try this shrimp recipe next: Easy Honey Sriracha Shrimp
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Shrimp Fried Rice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons peanut oil - more or less, depending on preference
- 1 cup frozen peas - thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn - thawed
- 1 cup frozen edamame - thawed
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 5-6 cups prepared brown rice (COLD) - day old at least
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili paste - or more
- 1 generous teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-2 Tablespoon soy sauce
- green onions - to garnish
- In a wok, or a large stock pan, sauté the shrimp in one tablespoon of olive oil until just pink. Take them out of the pan (set aside on a plate) a little bit early because you will be putting them back in the pan at the end.
- Drain the pan of liquid, and add just a tiny bit more of oil (if needed). Fry the eggs till soft scrambled. Remove to the same plate as the shrimp.
- Add one tablespoon of peanut oil to pan followed by the veggies - peas, corn, edamame, and carrots. Sauté on medium high heat for about five minutes, or until cooked through.
- Take brown rice out of the refrigerator and add to veggies. Add another tablespoon of peanut oil, salt, pepper, chili paste, oyster sauce, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce - and stir well. Continue cooking over medium heat until rice is warm, and flavors become absorbed, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add shrimp and eggs back to pan, and stir to combine. Garnish with green onions, and serve immediately.