Banana Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping is the perfect crumb cake for your next brunch. It’s super simple to make, and the crumbly topping takes it to a whole new level. Trust me, your family and friends will be so pleased!
Right behind Maple Pecan Scones and Blueberry Muffins, my heart belongs to crumb cakes. Forget the rich chocolate desserts (although c’mon, those are good too) and the trifles, I love a good crumbly coffee cake.
This recipe is quite simple. It starts with a recipe for banana cake and ends with a streusel topping. Both are excellent, and together…they are out of this world!
- Moist in the center
- Crumbly on top
Ingredients needed for Banana Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping:
- Butter – Unsalted butter – melted and slightly cooled.
- Bananas – Use three over-ripe bananas, and use a hand mixer to puree.
- Buttermilk – If you don’t have buttermilk, make your own by combining milk with a splash of vinegar.
- Egg – Just one egg.
- Vanilla – I love Watkin’s Vanilla!
- Sugar – All brown sugar is used for this recipe.
- Flour – All-purpose flour.
- Baking staples – Baking soda, baking powder, kosher salt, and cinnamon
- Streusel Topping Ingredients – Flour, brown sugar, kosher salt, cinnamon, and unsalted butter.
How to make Banana Coffee Cake:
You’ll need two bowls for mixing, and a hand mixer (optional).
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Puree the bananas with a hand mixer, in a small mixing bowl. Melt butter and set aside.
- Make the streusel topping. Combine the streusel ingredients in a separate bowl, and then use your fingers to squeeze the butter into the other ingredients. Set aside.
- Combine the wet ingredients. In a mixing bowl, combine the pureed bananas, cooled butter, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Combine the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, kosher salt, and cinnamon. Gently pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined.
- Assemble cake. Pour the banana cake batter into the prepared pan, and smooth to all sides of the pan. Then use your hands to sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the batter.
- Bake. Bake the banana coffee cake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until it is done in the center. This may take longer than you expect as the cake is very thick.
- Cool. After removing the cake from the oven, let it sit in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Then carefully remove it using the parchment paper to lift it out of the pan. Set it on top of the cooling racks and let it continue to cool down.
- Serve. This is best served slightly warm, or at room temperature, with a cup of coffee!
Other delicious banana recipes you should try:
- Apple Pie Banana Bundt Cake – A lovely mash-up of apple pie and banana cake!
- Easy Banana Bread – Norma Jean’s recipe, and it’s beyond moist (and delicious every time).
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins – Banana with a peanut butter twist!
Kitchen Tools I used for this recipe:
- USA 8×8 Pans – A square pan used to bake this coffee cake.
- Parchment Paper Baking Sheets – Makes it super easy to remove the cake from the pan.
- Hand Mixer – Used to puree the bananas.
- Glass Mixing Bowls – For mixing the cake and the streusel.
Make this coffee cake next: Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Banana Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping
For the coffee cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter – melted and slightly cooled
- 3 large over-ripe bananas – peeled
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the streusel topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter – cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8×8 pan with parchment paper for easy removal.
- Prepare the struesel topping by combining all ingredients listed. Use your hands to squeeze the butter into the other ingredients. Set aside.
- Melt butter and set aside. In a mixing bowl, puree bananas with a hand mixer. Add the buttermilk, egg, vanilla, and the slightly cooled butter. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Pour into the wet ingredients, and stir until just combined. There will be a few lumps of banana and flour remaining.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the batter evenly to all edges. Use hands to spread the streusel topping on top of the banana batter.
- Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until it is done in the center. This coffee cake is thick, so it may take longer than you expect.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and let it sit in the pan for 15 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. This cake is delicious served slightly warm or room temperature.