Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes combine a classic buttermilk batter with the best swirl of cinnamon and sugar. Top these with a pat of butter and some maple syrup for the best breakfast ever!
Welcome to #FallFlavors where more than 25 food bloggers are sharing recipes with favorite Fall flavors. Our sponsors, Millican Pecan, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Nairn’s, and Republic of Tea, have furnished participating bloggers with complimentary product to use in their recipe creations that they will be sharing this week. These same sponsors have generously offered prizes for our giveaway so be sure to enter and share with your friends so they can enter too. Be sure to follow our Fall Flavors Pinterest account for more inspiration.
Adding cinnamon to sweet recipes is just SO good. The Best Cinnamon Rolls, Cinnamon Sugar Candied Pecans, Honey Cinnamon Zucchini Bread, Cinnamon Nut Granola, Chunky Cinnamon Applesauce, and the list goes on.
In my book, you can never go wrong with a little extra cinnamon. It’s the secret (but not so secret) ingredient in these pancakes. Some melted butter, a little brown sugar, and a pinch of this amazing spice is what makes these extra tasty.
I’ve made SO MANY pancakes in my day. Our boys loved them and it was always convenient to have a stash in the freezer at all times. Making them homemade is worth it, and I’ve always doubled recipes because they keep so well. Little boys and pancakes…such great memories!
All of these are pantry staples, so there is never a reason to NOT make them, right? This particular recipe is on the smaller side, so I encourage you to double it!
- Flour – Use all-purpose flour for these pancakes. You could also try substituting other flours, but I haven’t tested that. All-purpose will yield the lightest, fluffiest pancakes.
- Sugar – You’ll only need three tablespoons of sugar for these waffles. If you like a sweeter taste, then you can add a bit more.
- Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and Salt – These three are vital components for pancakes.
- Vanilla – A couple of teaspoons of our go-to vanilla extract.
- Butter – Using unsalted butter is the perfect fat for these! You could also substitute an oil of your choosing.
- Egg – I used one large egg.
- Buttermilk – You can make your own buttermilk by adding vinegar to milk. See below for more details.
For the swirl
Just three ingredients are required for the best swirl! You’re gonna love it.
- Butter – Melted butter is the liquid for the swirl.
- Brown Sugar – Brown sugar AND cinnamon. Yes please.
- Cinnamon – I used one teaspoon of cinnamon for the swirl.
How to make Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes
I used to make pancakes on a large griddle for our boys. But now that our nest is empty, it’s simpler to make them in a non-stick skillet. I made these large, filling up a pan, but you can definitely make them any size you like.
- Combine dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients – the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients. Add the melted (and slightly cooled) butter, the buttermilk, vanilla, and egg to the bowl. Whisk again, but don’t over-mix. A few small lumps are ok.
- Make the swirl. In a small measuring cup, microwave the butter until melted. Then add in the brown sugar and cinnamon and mix well. Pour this mixture into a squeeze bottle (linked below).
- Make pancakes. Use a non-stick pan (or a pancake griddle) and heat over medium heat. Add a pat of butter, and when melted, add some pancake batter to the pan. I made these rather large, but you can make them as big or as small as you’d like.
- Add swirl. When the pancake gets bubbly on top, add the cinnamon swirl (as seen below). You will want to keep shaking the swirl so the ingredients don’t separate. Let it cook for a bit longer, and then carefully flip. Cook another minute or so, and remove from the pan. Repeat with remaining pancakes.
- Serve. Serve pancakes hot with some extra butter and maple syrup.
Storing and Freezing
Storing – These can be stored in the refrigerator for several days. Simply warm them up in the microwave to get them warm.
Freezing – I’m always looking for meals that are freezer friendly for a grab-and-go meal. Pancakes freeze up great, and I’ve been doing that for years. You just place them in freezer bags, separated by parchment paper, and freeze up to three months. Grab one on your way out the door, or eat them at home with some butter and syrup.
How to make your own buttermilk
I rarely buy buttermilk at the store, because it usually expires before I get a chance to use it. It’s far easier to just make your own buttermilk with two simple ingredients.
- Pour milk into a measuring cup. You can use 1%, 2%, or whole milk. Stay away from skim because it’s watery.
- For every cup of milk, add about one tablespoon of vinegar. I normally use a regular distilled white vinegar but you can use rice vinegar or another clear version in a pinch. You can also use lemon juice instead of vinegar.
- Stir and then let the mixture sit. You’ll see it start to curdle and thicken. That’s buttermilk!
What to serve with these pancakes
- Overnight Omelette Breakfast Casserole – Our go-to egg casserole, and a great one to make in advance. Prep it the night before, bake in the morning, and then whip up the pancakes while it’s baking!
- Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole – Another delicious egg casserole and great for a smaller group of people.
- Bacon and Egg Breakfast Muffins – These are portable and can be baked and frozen for later.
- Coffee – You also may want to make a batch of Cold Brew Coffee or the best Caramel Lattes!
More #FallFlavors Recipes Below:
Appetizers and Snacks
- Fall Charcuterie Board from The Fresh Cooky
Breakfast and Baked Goods
- Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes from SueBee Homemaker
- Pecan Butter Bread with Apple Cider Butter from That Recipe
Soups and Salads
- Gullah Chicken Stew from Family Around The Table
- Autumn Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner from Jen around the world
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts And Cipollini Onion Taco With Hatch Chili Cream from Magical Ingredients
- Apple Cider Caramel Dip from The Spiffy Cookie
- Butter Pecan Cake from Lemon Blossoms
- Chewy Pecan Butter Cookies from Soulfully Made
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Truffles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Fresh Peach Pie from Hostess At Heart
- Honeybun Cake from House of Nash Eats
- Pecan Sandies from Eat Move Make
Kitchen Tools Used: (affiliate links)
Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes
For the pancakes:
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¾ cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter – melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the cinnamon swirl:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter – melted
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- butter or oil – to cook pancakes
- syrup and extra butter – to serve
- Make the cinnamon swirl. In a measuring cup, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon and mix well. Pour the mixture into a squirt bottle or a plastic bag.
- Make the pancake batter. In a mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients – the egg, buttermilk, vanilla, and the melted and slightly cooled butter. Then add the dry ingredients – the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix but be careful to not-over-mix. A few lumps are ok.
- Cook the pancakes. In a non-stick skillet, or on a pancake griddle, heat up to medium-high heat. Add a little oil to the skillet (or griddle), and use a measuring cup to add some pancake batter.
- Let the batter cook until small bubbles form. Then add a swirl of the cinnamon mixture. Wait a minute and then flip to cook the other side. Continue with the remaining pancake batter.
- Serve pancakes with extra butter and some maple syrup.
Six (6) winners will be randomly selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #FallFlavors bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway and the contest is open only to US residents. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors posts or entries. Thank you to our sponsors Millican Pecan Company, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Republic of Tea, and Nairn’s for providing prizes.
Prize 1: Texas Pecan Candy Basket from Millican Pecan
The Millican Pecan Texas Pecan Candy Basket is loaded with a variety of pecan gifts. Includes 6 Milk Chocolate Pecan Clusters, 6 Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles), 6 White Chocolate Caramillicans, 6 Pecan Pralines, and a 1/2 lb. Bag of Flavored Pecans! Every bit DELICIOUS! A $75 value.
Prize 2: Williams Sonoma Cleartouch Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set from Dixie Crystals
Perfect for the occasional baker, our entry-level collection features a sturdy nonstick silicone coating at a great value. Aluminized steel, the material of choice for professional bakers, provides excellent heat transfer for even baking, so food turns out beautifully and releases easily, every time. 6-Piece Set includes: Half-sheet pan, 12-cup muffin pan, round cake pan, square cake pan, rectangular cake pan, loaf pan. An $80 value.
Prize 3: 3 Month Melissa’s Produce Gift Subscription
A stunning selection of the most delicious produce will be delivered once a month for 3 months. At Melissa’s, the produce is selected at their peak of perfection and packed by hand to ensure safe arrival. A $124 value.
Prize 4: A Red Dancing Leaves Teapot and a tin of Hot Apple Cider Tea from The Republic of Tea
Let the aroma of fresh apple and mulled cider spices envelop you as you sip this golden infusion. The crisp, lingering finish will leave you wanting more! A naturally-caffeine free blend of apples, cinnamon cloves and ginger. Reminiscent of apple cider, with the luscious aroma of cinnamon and cloves, make this cup the perfect accompaniment to the colors of the harvest season.
Embossed, windswept leaves whirl across this 20 oz ceramic teapot. Includes a stainless steel infuser. An exclusive design by The Republic of Tea. A $44 value
Prize 5: A selection of six flavors of Oat Crackers from Nairn’s
One winner will receive a box of each Nairn’s Original, Chocolate Chip, Stem Ginger Oat Grahams, Caramelized Onions, Rosemary & Sea Salt Flatbreads, and Oat Cracker. Nairn’s has been baking oats since 1896. They use simple, natural, and wholesome ingredients in their products. Minimum $25 value
Prize 6: A Selection of extracts from Taylor and Colledge.
One winner will receive a selection of extracts to include vanilla bean, almond, lemon, and lavender. In 1897, Taylor & Colledge won its first award for excellence in vanilla. Since then, the Taylor & Colledge commitment for unsurpassed quality has earned its reputation as one of the world’s finest producers of vanilla. Minimum of $25 valuea Rafflecopter giveaway