I absolutely love make-ahead dishes, especially when company is in town. My Overnight Omelette Breakfast Casserole is a perfect example of getting the mess out of the way the day before your meal. In the morning, just pop it in the oven and breakfast is served!
This is another recipe re-do. I originally made it at Thanksgiving time, when I had extra mouths to feed (aka Josh). So now that he’s home for the summer and getting up REALLY early to work-out before his internship, I thought it was time to make it again. He’ll love having a piece of this protein/veggie packed dish to warm up before he gets to work.
And just so you know, I made this in two separate dishes this time around. (So my pictures only show one dish.) But making it in a 9×13 pan is best.
If ya’ll have ever made omelettes for a group, and realized that all you did was cook while everybody else was eating, this casserole is for you. You simply make it the night before your breakfast, store it in the refrigerator overnight, and then pop it in the oven about an hour before you eat.
Use a bunch of veggies.
- bell pepper
For the meat, I used a spicy sausage and bacon. But you could swap these for ham or even leave it out and enjoy a meatless casserole. Whatever you like best is what you should use.
Make this breakfast recipe next: Creamy Vegetable Frittata
You can stay up-to-date with SueBee Homemaker by:
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
A hearty and satisfying breakfast casserole that resembles an omelette, and you can make it ahead of time!
- 8 slices old bread
- 1 Tablespoons butter or enough to spread on bread
- 1 pound sausage cooked and crumbled
- 6 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk or use whatever milk you have
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In skillet, cook sausage till done. Drain fat and set aside.
- Cut bacon in small strips. Cook in skillet (you can use same one as sausage) till nicely browned. Set cooked bacon on paper towel to soak up some of the fat.
- In 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, saute onion, garlic, red pepper, mushrooms, and spinach. Season with salt and pepper and cook until soft.
- In mixing bowl, whip eggs, milk, 1/2 the cheese, ground mustard, salt and pepper (to taste). Set aside.
- Remove the crust from the slices of bread. Butter one side and put that side down in casserole dish.
- Spoon sausage and bacon on bread layer. Then top with cooked veggies and then egg mixture. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover tightly with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, cook the casserole on 375, uncovered, for approximately 45 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked and the breakfast casserole is nice and golden brown on top.
- Leftovers are great.