Low Carb Egg Roll in a Bowl is a simple and delicious low carb meal for any night of the week. Use a simple combo of ground sausage, cabbage, carrots, ginger and garlic – along with some flavor boosters including soy sauce, fish sauce, and chili sauce! You do not want to miss this one, folks!
Deconstructed Egg Rolls
Skip the egg roll wrappers and go low carb with the simplest of meals. If you’re a fan of egg rolls, you’ll be a fan of these too!
I’m not sure about you, but I’d MUCH prefer to make my own take-out if I’m home in my kitchen. It’s easy and you know exactly what you’re eating. Instead of heavy fat-laden fried egg rolls, we’re making a lighter dish today and I’m all about eating light and saving room for dessert!
Why we love these bowls
- Quick and simple – This is a 20 minute dish, especially if you have everything prepped on your counter.
- Low Carb – No carbs here! Just meat, veggies and some seasonings for a filling meal.
- Super tasty – Thanks to the flavor boosters in this meal, you’re gonna love the taste! Light meals don’t have to be boring ya’ll. Try this, you’ll love it!
- Great for leftovers – I normally make dishes that serve more than two (in our empty nest) because we LOVE leftovers. Mike also packs a lunch for work, so it’s easier for me to make extra. (When it comes to sweets, I’m all about chocolate cake for two however!)
- Sausage – Use any ground sausage you prefer. I like to use the HOT version if I can find it. Otherwise, I use a mild version.
- Garlic & Ginger – Using fresh is best. If you prefer to take a shortcut, ground ginger and garlic powder is ok too.
- Cabbage & Carrots – I used a combo of bagged cabbage, bagged shredded carrots, and then used some extra cabbage from a head that I had leftover from another recipe.
- Flavor Boosters – You’ll need soy sauce (low-sodium is recommended), a bit of fish oil, and some chili sauce (or sriracha) for some heat.
- Eggs – A few eggs is the final touch to this low carb recipe!
To serve: Add some diced green onions, a drizzle of sesame oil, and some extra chili paste!
How to make Egg Roll in a Bowl
Brown Sausage. In a large skillet (or stock pot), brown the sausage and cook through, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. (Drain fat off if needed.)
Make sauce. In a measuring cup, add the soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, and fish sauce. Mix well.
Add veggies and other flavors. Then add the minced garlic and ginger and stir for about a minute. Then add the shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, soy sauce, fish sauce, and chili sauce – stirring and cooking until wilted and softened to your liking.
Make a well and cook eggs. Use the spoon to push the mixture to the sides of the skillet, making a well in the center. Add the whisked eggs and cook until scrambled. (I prefer a soft scramble so I leave them a little bit runny.) Stir the eggs into the mixture and remove from the heat.
You can also scramble the eggs in a separate pan while you’re cooking the veggies. Then just add them to the pan.
Serve. Serve the egg roll in a bowl with some diced green onions, an extra drizzle of sesame oil, and some extra chili sauce (or sriracha) – if desired.
If you love chop sticks like I do, make sure you have some on hand. It makes you FEEL like you’re in a restaurant, don’t you think? However, forks are good too. 🙂
While this is low carb, you can add a side of white rice for those that prefer the carbs too. We like it served both ways!
Yes, you can use ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken instead of ground sausage.
If you’d rather use bottled spices, you can use garlic powder and ground ginger. Use about a teaspoon of each in place of the fresh.
You can add any kind of rice to add to this recipe. I use either white or brown rice. Great for fam members who aren’t interested in going low carb!
LEFTOVERS: We love the leftovers, and they last in the fridge for a couple of days.
Other Asian Recipes to try next
- Weeknight Spicy Fried Rice
- Thai Beef Noodle Stir Fry
- Crunchy Asian Cabbage Salad
- Chicken Vegetable Stir Fry
Kitchen Tools Used: (affiliate links)
Low Carb Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 pound ground sausage – I prefer the hot version, but mild works great too.
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger – minced
- 22 oz shredded cabbage with carrots (bagged mix) – or slice some fresh cabbage
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce – or more as needed
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce – or sriracha
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2-3 large eggs
- chopped green onions – to serve
- extra chili sauce (or sriracha) and a drizzle of sesame oil – to serve
- In a large pan (or wok), heat to medium high heat. Add sausage and use wooden spoon to break apart and cook completely, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, soy sauce, chili sauce, and chili sauce. Cook until veggies are wilted to your liking, about 10 more minutes.
- Use spoon to form a well in the center of the pan. Drop beaten eggs in the well, and cook until soft scrambled (or more if you wish). Stir the cooked eggs into the egg roll mixture and remove from heat.
- Serve with an extra drizzle of sesame oil, chopped green onions, and some extra chili paste (or sriracha).
- I recommend cooking some rice to go with these bowls for family members who aren't eating low carb!