Roasted Asparagus is a go-to side dish in my kitchen. Adding some prosciutto and parmesan makes it extra tasty, and your family will be asking for seconds!
Do you have a favorite vegetable?
Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables. Actually, it is my ABSOLUTE favorite vegetable, provided I cook it correctly. Grilling it with a bit of olive oil and seasonings is the way we usually prepare it. We being Mike – since he does most of the grilling.
Baking it in the oven is also really good, especially when you happen to have prosciutto on hand. And if you are asking, what is prosciutto? It’s a salt-cured, dry-aged Italian ham. Prosciutto is a bit on the salty side, but it’s also sliced VERY thin, and a little goes a long way.
See below for a picture of what this looks like BEFORE baking.
And then again, you can see what it looks like AFTER (see photo below) I took it out of the oven, and sprinkled some parmesan cheese on top.
Besides the incredible taste, roasting asparagus is an incredibly easy side dish to make.
- Trim the ends off (two inches is a good rule of thumb).
- Rinse in cold water and pat dry.
- Lay on baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Tear prosciutto in pieces and lay on top.
- Bake for 13 – 15 minutes, or until asparagus is fork tender.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy.
This literally only takes 20 minutes, from beginning to end.
Roasted Asparagus is also great on top of salads – as seen in the photo below. I also like to serve it over a bed of rice or a baked potato – for a full meal.
Try this side dish next: Baked Hasselback Potatoes
You can stay up-to-date with SueBee Homemaker by:
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
- 2 pounds asparagus - ends trimmed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 ounces prosciutto - torn into pieces
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Wash asparagus and trim about two inches off the ends. Pat dry, and lay flat on baking sheet.
Drizzle olive oil over the top, and then salt and pepper.
Tear prosciutto into pieces, and lay on top of asparagus.
Bake for approximately 13 minutes, or until fork tender.
Remove from oven and sprinkle the parmesan cheese over top. Serve immediately.