Crispy Roasted Whole Chicken is crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Buy a nice whole chicken, coat it with lemon zest and seasonings, and bake it until done. Such a classic and delicious dish!
A whole roasted chicken is such a classic dish that never gets old, in my opinion. When I was a kid, my mother used to roast a whole chicken, but it was usually surrounded by homemade sauerkraut. I’ve definitely got that on my list to try next!
This chicken, ya’ll. It is so many things.
- Crispy – From baking it at a high temp.
- Tender – Cooking bone-IN chicken is always more tender and moist than a boneless variety.
- Lemon-y – I adore a lemon flavor in my chicken. You could definitely leave it out, for a different (but still delicious) flavor.
Ingredients needed for Crispy Whole Roasted Chicken:
- Whole Chicken – I recommend buying an organic chicken. Remove the liver, gizzard, and the heart, and dispose (or save for later).
- Lemon – Zest one of the lemons and chop the other one into eighths.
- Seasonings – Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, poultry seasoning.
- Thyme – Several fresh sprigs of thyme, if possible.
- Butter – Unsalted butter, slightly softened.
- Onion – Cut an onion into medium chucks.
- Carrots – Chop the carrots into approximately 2-inch pieces.
- Garlic – Peels removed
- Olive Oil
You will also need a roasting pan or a dutch oven, like the one pictured. (My Christmas present from my sweet hubby!)
How to make Crispy Whole Roasted Chicken:
- Prep Space. Prep your space with paper towels to keep the chicken juices from contaminating your space.
- Prep chicken. Remove packaging and then the giblets from the center of the chicken. You’ll need to use your hands to dig in the top and bottom of the chicken to remove any extra parts. Dispose them, or save them for later.
- Mix together seasoning mixture. Zest one of the lemons and place in a small bowl. Add to it, the kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, poultry seasoning, and some of the fresh thyme. Mix well.
- Apply butter and seasonings. Using your fingers, carefully loosen up the skin from the top of the chicken. Then add some of the lemon zest/seasoning under the skin as well. Also add some seasonings to the cavity of the chicken.
- Stuff chicken. Stuff the cavity with half of the chopped onion, the garlic, the other (chopped) lemon, and a couple twigs of thyme. Tie the legs together with some kitchen twine.
- Layer veggies. Spread the carrots and the other half of the onion to the bottom of a dutch oven or roasting pan. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil, and some salt and pepper to taste. I also sometimes add chopped potatoes to the bottom of the pan as well.
- Add chicken to pan. Place the prepared chicken on top of the veggies, and drizzle more olive oil on top.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 425 oven, uncovered, for approximately one hour and 40 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked through. Test with a digital thermometer. It should read 165 degrees in the the thickest part of the dark meat.
What to serve with Roasted Chicken:
- Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes – A simple and buttery potato recipe!
- Spinach Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing – Salad that even your men will enjoy, because it includes bacon and eggs.
- Creamy Mushroom Risotto – One of our favorite side dishes, and it goes well with any protein.
Try this chicken recipe next: Turkey Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Crispy Roasted Whole Chicken
- 5-6 pounds whole organic chicken – removed of liver, gizards, hearts
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 6 large carrots – peeled and chopped into two inch pieces
- 2 medium lemons – one zested, one chopped into eighths
- 5 cloves garlic – peeled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter – softened
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Take a whole chicken and remove the giblets. Using some paper towel, pat dry the entire bird, making sure you get it as dry as possible.
- Zest one lemon. Combine the zest with the salt, pepper, some fresh thyme, and poultry seasoning.
- Loosen up the skin on the top of the chicken, using your fingers to pry it away gently, going underneath the skin. Spread the softened butter underneath the skin, followed by the seasoning mix above.
- Stuff the chicken with the chopped lemon, half of the chopped onion, garlic cloves, and a few twigs of thyme. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Spread the carrots, and the remaining half onion in the bottom of a roasting dish. Drizzle with one tablespoon of olive oil, and some salt and pepper.
- Place the prepared chicken on top of the veggies and drizzle with a little more olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven, uncovered, for approximately 1 hour 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Test with a digital thermometer – it should read 165 degrees in the thickest part of the dark meat.
- Remove the roasting dish from the oven, and let the chicken cool slightly, for about 15 minutes. Slice and serve!