Spinach Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing is the perfect salad for entertaining or for any weeknight meal. Easy to prepare, hearty enough for the biggest appetite, and the tangy dressing adds an extra punch of flavor. I’ve been making this for several years and it never gets old!
We love this dressing on so many other salads, including my Health Broccoli Salad and a delicious Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad! This spinach salad is our go-to, and the dressing makes it really flavorful.
Best Spinach Salad
I love salads that are both relatively healthy and are appealing to all age ranges and types of eaters. Take for instance our grown boys. They love their meat and potatoes, but also don’t mind their greens. So when you present them with something that’s pretty healthy and has BACON and EGGS on it, they are all in.
It’s hard balancing a menu with picky eaters, and I’m sure many of you face this obstacle on the daily. This salad has SO much flavor, and I believe it will entice almost anyone to try it. The creamy dressing is also a plus, and has just the right amount of sweet and tang.
Ingredients Needed for Spinach Salad:
- Baby Spinach Leaves – I usually pull off most of the stems, especially if they are long.
- Sliced Mushrooms – Buy them already sliced for convenience, or slice them yourself.
- Red Onion – Slice the onion very thin.
- Bacon – You could buy pre-cooked to save time, or cook it yourself. I like to make mine in the oven on a wire rack.
- Eggs – Make them on the stove top or the instant pot. I love doing mine in my pressure cooker now. So easy.
This is such a simple combo of ingredients, and all of them can be prepared ahead of time.
Ingredients Needed for Spinach Salad Dressing:
- Olive Oil – My go-to oil, and good fats!
- Red Wine Vinegar – The perfect tang to this salad dressing.
- Honey – We need some sweetness in the dressing.
- Dijon Mustard – This makes it creamy!
- Salt and Pepper – Yes, on everything. 😀
Go ahead and make this dressing up ahead of time, and store in the refrigerator. You may need to set it out before dressing the salad to make sure it mixes well. Just shake shake shake!
How to make this delicious salad
- Prep the spinach leaves. This is an optional step, but I like to snap the long stems off of the spinach. Not all of them will need it. Only the long ones.
- Slice the mushrooms and red onions. You can buy pre-sliced mushrooms if you prefer. Make sure you slice the red onions very thin.
- Cook the bacon. My preferred method of cooking bacon is to lay it on a wire rack on a foiled baking pan, and bake on 400 degrees until crispy. Then pat with paper towel to absorb grease, and crumble.
- Boil the eggs. You can make the eggs on your stove top or instant pot (my preferred method).
- Make the Honey Dijon Dressing. Combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, honey, and spices. Shake vigorously.
- Assemble and serve. Combine the spinach, mushrooms, red onions, bacon, and eggs. Drizzle with dressing, and serve.
I love this combo, but you can add and subtract as you like. Try adding tomatoes and any cheese like feta or goat cheese. Use green onions instead of red onions. Don’t like mushrooms? Skip them altogether!
If I’m having a large group of people that I know will be eating all the salad, I’ll dress the salad all at once. But if I’m pretty sure I’ll have leftover salad, then I’ll dress one salad at a time. This will ensure the leftovers don’t get soggy.
You just click on the number showing the serving size and adjust it to any serving size you’d like. So if I wanted to double this recipe for company, for example, I’d change the 6 to a 12. Very simple to do, and I hope you use it when you need to.
This recipe makes six fairly large servings. If making it for a holiday with lots of people, I recommend doubling it.
Try this spinach salad next! Spinach Salad with Avocado and Goat Cheese
Spinach Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing
- 12 cups baby spinach – pre-washed
- 8 ounces mushrooms – sliced
- 1/3 cup red onion – thinly sliced
- 8 slices bacon
- 6 eggs – hard boiled
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1.5 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Snap the stems off the baby spinach, and add the spinach leaves to a large salad bowl.
- Slice the mushrooms (or use pre-sliced) and the red onions. Add them to them bowl.
- Cook the bacon (or use pre-cooked), and crumble. Add to bowl when slightly cooled.
- Boil the eggs. You can use stove-top or instant pot method. When cooled, add to the salad.
- Make the dressing by mixing all ingredients and firmly shake until well mixed. Drizzle on salad and serve immediately.
- You can use pre-cooked bacon as a time-saver.
- You can store the leftover salad dressing in a mason jar, for several days.
- If you want to make a larger batch, simple adjust the number of servings (directly in the recipe) and you’ll have the correct ingredient measurements.