My Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipe combines a combo of sweet and smoky ingredients and is perfect for all your BBQ sauce needs. This cooks in less than 30 minutes, and you can use it on sandwiches, ribs, pork shoulder, chicken, or just eat it by the spoonful. Either way, you’re gonna love it!
The BEST barbecue sauce!
After making Reese Witherspoon’s barbecue sauce recipe a couple years ago, I decided to adapt it to make THIS one. My recipe makes ONE jar (as pictured ) but it’s very easy to double it to make two (or even more).
This barbecue sauce can be explained in three (ok, four) words.
- Smoky – Due to using liquid smoke and the right combo os spices.
- Slightly Sweet – The molasses provides a perfect sweetener while acting as a thickening agent.
- Tangy – The apple cider vinegar/Worcestershire sauce are necessary ingredients for great barbecue sauce.
BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
- Chicken Broth – Use a lower-sodium broth to control the sodium.
- Ketchup – The base of barbecue sauce is almost always ketchup, which we love.
- Molasses – This adds some sweetness and a thicker texture to the sauce.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Provides savory, sweet, and tang to the sauce.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Acts to balance the other ingredients.
- Yellow Mustard – You can use dijon or yellow mustard here.
- Liquid Smoke – Adds that mysterious smoky flavor!
- Seasonings – A combo of onion powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
How to make this sauce:
Barbecue sauce is super EASY to make. Just dump, cook, and store. Simple, huh?
- Combine ingredients. In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and stir well. Cook over medium-high heat until boiling, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Let the sauce cook down by approximately 1/3.
- Store. Store the sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container or a mason jar (as pictured).
- Appetizers – You can never go wrong with Cowboy Caviar with Avocado or The Best Healthy Hummus.
- Salads – How about my mom’s Creamy Potato Salad or her Creamy Cucumber Salad?
- Veggies – These Easy Roasted Brussels Spouts with Bacon are always a hit!
- Dessert anyone? Try my current fav Brown Butter Toffee Cookies or a batch of Texas Sheet Cake Brownies (a fan favorite!)!
Since I’m participating in BBQ Week with a whole bunch of other fabulous food bloggers, I’ve got tons of other ideas below! Head there now!
Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to cook until the sauce reduces by approximately 1/3.
- Store the sauce in the refrigerator, for approximately two months.
Monday #BBQWeek Recipes
Appetizers and Drinks
- Cherimoya Margarita by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- BBQ Macaroni Salad by Making Miracles
- Cool Beans Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Creamy Pea Salad with Bacon by House of Nash Eats
- DIY BBQ Potato Chips by Palatable Pastime
- Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipe by SueBee Homemaker
- Honeydew Cucumber Salad by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Sweet Macaroni Salad by The Spiffy Cookie
- Warm New Potato and Pea Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cuban Marinated Chicken Tacos by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Grilled Citrus-Marinated Pork Chops by Sweet Beginnings
- Grilled Flounder Tacos with Peach Jalapeno Salsa by Our Good Life
- Sausage and Peppers by Devour Dinner
- Teriyaki Chicken Skewers by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- The Best Grilled BBQ Pork Ribs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Elvis Presley Cake by Family Around the Table
- Grilled Pineapple with Maple Syrup Glaze by Blogghetti
- No-Bake Kumquat Creamsicle Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks