Introducing The Best Healthy Hummus Recipe! Combining classic hummus ingredients with cucumbers, red onion, and extra garbanzo beans. Serve this healthy snack with pita chips or vegetables of your choice!
Ya’ll! Have you made your own hummus yet? You really really REALLY should. It’s easy, healthy, and SO delicious. Take a quick look at the nutrition label below. One serving of this has 13 grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber, which is great for a snack. Confession…I often make this a main course because I love it so much. Leftovers are great too, and speaking from experience, go great in a wrap!
Have I convinced you? 😀
Ingredients needed to make The BEST Healthy Hummus Recipe:
- Garbanzo Beans – You will need one can of beans. Either reserve a few for serving or open another can!
- Tahini Paste – Make sure you stir up your tahini paste to fully combine the oils and the sesame seed paste.
- Lemon – Use half of a lemon or more if you like things extra lemon-y.
- Garlic – One large clove is the perfect amount for me, but use extra if you like your hummus garlic-y!
- Spices – Onion powder, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper.
- Olive Oil – One tablespoon for the hummus plus extra to serve
- Water – You’ll need cold water to thin the hummus. I like my hummus extra creamy so I use plenty of water.
- Veggies – Chop up some cucumbers and red onion to serve. Feel free to add extra veggies if desired.
To serve, chop up a bunch of vegetables and include some pita chips as well.
How to make The Best Healthy Hummus Recipe:
- Prep the Garbanzo Beans. Rinse and drain the beans. Remove the skin by using your thumb and first two fingers. This will only take 5-6 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in your food processor. Combine the peeled garbanzo beans, tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and spices.
- Get a smooth consistency. Pulse the ingredients and gradually add water until smooth. I use plenty of water because I like a very smooth consistency.
- Add veggies. Spread the hummus on a plate, and add the chopped cucumbers. red onions, and the additional garbanzo beans.
- Serve. Serve the healthy hummus with pita chips or a variety of fresh veggies.
Other snacks you should make soon:
- Baked Artichoke Dip – My youngest son’s fav dip to make for his friends!
- Mexican Black-Eyed Pea Dip – You can substitute black beans or your fav bean for the black-eyed peas. SO good!
- Classic Deviled Eggs – This is such a quick appetizer, and I don’t make them nearly enough.
Make this snack recipe next: Roasted Tomato Bruschetta with Ricotta
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
The Best Healthy Hummus Recipe
- 15 oz. garbanzo beans – drained and peeled
- 1/3 cup tahini paste
- 1/2 large lemon – freshly squeezed
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 5-6 Tablespoons cold water – or more to get a creamy consistency
- 1/4 cup cucumber – chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion – chopped
- extra garbanzo beans – to serve
- extra olive oil plus salt and pepper – to serve
- pita chips or veggies – to serve
- Rinse and drain the garbanzo beans. Peel the skin off the beans one at a time. Using your thumb and first two fingers works best. This will only take 5-6 minutes.
- Place peeled garbanzo beans into a food processor. Add the tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic clove, onion powder, salt and pepper, and olive oil. Pulse until well combined.
- Then add some of the water to the food processor, and pulse. Continue adding additional water until very smooth. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Spread the hummus on a large plate. Then add some chopped cucumbers, red onions, extra garbanzo beans, extra olive oil, and salt and pepper.
- Serve hummus with pita chips and veggies of your choice.