Vegetable Beef Soup is from Norma Jean’s Kitchen. My mom used to make this stick-to-your-ribs meal for us when we were growing up, and it was perfect for chilly Iowa nights.
My mom made the BEST soups. I don’t think she ever followed a soup recipe very closely. She’d just throw a little bit of this and a little bit of that in a crockpot or a roaster, and it would turn out delicious.
Some of my favorite soups of Mom’s were her Vegetable Beef, Chicken Noodle, Wild Rice, Loaded Potato, and Ham and Bean. I’ve tried to replicate many of her soups on this site, but since she didn’t write all the recipes down, I’m using my memories instead. I hope I can do her recipes justice.
This Vegetable Beef Soup is a perfect soup for Fall and Winter. There is something just so comforting about a good ‘ole beef roast. Make sure you look for one with plenty of marbleized fat running through the roast so that it gets tender during the long cooking process. You can remove some of the fat after it is fully cooked. And the process of storing the broth in the fridge overnight helps reduce the fat content as well.
I used my crock pot for this recipe, but you could also make it on the stove top or even in the oven using a roaster.
Try this soup recipe next: Easy Slow Cooker Chili
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
Vegetable Beef Soup
For the roast:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2.5 pounds chuck or rump roast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups beef broth
- enough water to cover
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
For the soup
- 5-6 cups beef broth reserved from the roast
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 1.5 cups celery chopped
- 1 cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- 2-3 cups red potatoes chopped with skin on
- 1.5 cups frozen corn
- 1 15 oz. can french style beans
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
To cook the roast:
- Heat olive oil in skillet set to medium high heat. Salt and pepper both sides of roast and add to skillet. Brown on all sides and remove.
- Place roast in crock pot with a combination of packaged beef broth and water to fully cover. Add Worcestershire Sauce and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8-9 hours.
- Remove meat when it’s fork tender. Let it cool slightly and shred. The meat should literally fall apart. Strain broth if needed.
To cook the soup:
- Chop the onion, carrots, celery, cabbage, and garlic – and saute in olive oil for approximately 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper and add veggies to crock pot.
- Add potatoes, corn, green beans, tomatoes, shredded roast and bay leaves to crock pot. Simmer in crock pot 4 – 5 hours on low, or 2-3 hours on high. You may need to add more broth or water/beef bouillon.
- Check seasonings and serve.