Baked Spaghetti Squash and Cheese is a lower-carb version of Mac and cheese, and so unbelievable tasty. Roast the spaghetti squash, make a quick roux, and then add in cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, frozen peas, and bacon. So delicious!
I love my pasta and bread, but over the years, I’ve cut back on those food groups dramatically. I still enjoy a great baked shells dish or pasta salad, but I’m always searching for lower-carb pasta dishes too. This one is an oldie, and I’m reviving it from the very early blog days. It’s about time, because it’s really too good to ignore!
If you are wondering if it tastes like Mac and cheese, I’d say no. But if you like spaghetti squash, cheese, and bacon, you’re gonna love this one. And if you’ve never tried spaghetti squash, this would be an excellent first for you. The flavors are perfect together, and I think you’ll love it like we do. 😀
Ingredients needed for Spaghetti Squash and Cheese:
- Spaghetti Squash – You’ll need one large spaghetti squash. Slice it width-wise in about one inch slices, and remove seeds.
- Olive Oil, Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper – For drizzling on the squash.
- Roux Ingredients – Use onion, garlic, flour, chicken broth, milk, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add-In Ingredients – Bacon, frozen peas, cheddar cheese, and parmesan cheese are the flavor bombs.
How to make Spaghetti Squash and Cheese:
- Roast the spaghetti squash. Slice the spaghetti squash width-wise in round sections. Remove the seeds, and place on prepared baking sheet. Roast in the oven until tender. Remove the spaghetti squash from the skins, and set on paper towel to soak up some of the liquid.
- Cook the bacon. After the spaghetti squash cooks, place bacon on a wire rack on a baking sheet, and cook until crispy. Remove to cool. (Or you can cook it in the microwave.
- Make the roux. In a large stock pan, combine chopped onion with olive oil and butter. Cook until soft, add garlic, and stir for 30 seconds. Add seasonings, and then flour. Cook for a couple of minutes, and then add chicken broth and milk. Reduce heat and cook until the mixture thickens.
- Add the additional ingredients. Add the frozen peas, cooked and crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese, and parmesan cheese. Stir until melted, and then add the spaghetti squash.
- Bake. Pour mixture into a baking dish, and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
What is spaghetti squash?
Spaghetti squash is a variety of winter squash with slightly stringy flesh that when cooked resembles spaghetti. It doesn’t actually taste like pasta, but it is a great alternative when mixing it with sauces and different spices.
Is spaghetti squash healthy?
Spaghetti squash is low in calories and high in fiber, making it a healthy option. One cup has only 31 calories, far less than a cup of pasta noodles, and has 2 grams of fiber. This squash is also a good source of calcium, potassium, magnesium, and niacin.
Try this healthy side dish next! Weeknight Spicy Fried Rice
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Baked Spaghetti Squash and Cheese
- 1 large spaghetti squash - or about 5-6 cups
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cups chicken broth
- 1 cups 1% milk
- kosher salt and pepper - to taste
- red pepper flakes - to taste
- 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 12 oz. frozen peas
- 6 slices bacon - cooked and diced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut the spaghetti squash in round sections and remove seeds. Arrange on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake until tender, approximately 40 minutes. Let cool slightly, and then "comb" the strands out of the peel with a fork. Set spaghetti squash on some paper towel to absorb some of the liquid. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in either the oven or the microwave.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and a tablespoon of olive oil, and when melted, add diced onion. Sauté for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and stir for another minute.
- Stir in flour and combine, stirring constantly for a couple minutes. Then turn heat up slightly and add chicken broth and milk. Continue whisking until the mixture becomes thick, approximately 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Turn heat to low and add cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add frozen peas, bacon, and spaghetti squash and mix well. Pour into a baking dish. Bake uncovered until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Serve immediately.